companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Browned Butter Asparagus

As promised, the recipe for the delicious asparagus my mom and I dined on last Wednesday for our girls lunch. There are lots of ways to do asparagus, but I have often found myself a little perplexed as how to get the base parts tender without turning the tips to mush. I know to trim them, but I hate cutting off too much. When I grill or roast, it seems the ends stay a little woody. This method worked for me. Tender but not mushy.

The boiling broth tenderizes the ends, and adds flavor too. Then top it off with some browned butter and it is delish! I adore browned butter! This dish is the best of spring.

Browned Butter Asparagus

1 bunch fresh asparagus, about 3/4 lb
2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp butter

Wash and trim the woody ends from the asparagus. Heat a small skillet with the chicken broth. When simmering, add the asparagus. Braise until just tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Place the asparagus into a serving bowl and set aside. Pour the broth off, saving it for soup. Melt the butter in the skillet. Stir it gently over a medium temperature until it begins to brown. Cook until most of the butter takes on a light brown hue. Remove from heat immediately and pour over the asparagus spears. Serves 4.   70 calories  1 net carb 

We are prepping for a fundraiser garage sale for our school this weekend, so I have lots of washing and sorting still to do. I did manage to make a great new recipe today, so I will share that one later this week. Gotta run while the sun still shines!

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

3 comments:

Biz said...

While I break off the bottom part of the asparagus, I also peel the bottom inch with a vegetable peeler - tender from top to bottom then!

I used to not like asparagus growing up, turns out my mom cooked this shit out of it and I like it to be crisp tender. :D

Pauline said...

I used to hate asparagus growing up and remember telling my mom that when I get older I'm gonna tell my kids that asparagus is horrible......safe to say I now love asparagus, and so do my kids :)

Mike Daniels said...

Asparagus are so versatile, how can you not love them :D