companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Golden Girl Salad Dressing

I have been trying to cut back lately. Adding some meals that are not only low carb, but low calorie too. I know, many of you don't need to do that. And, believe me, I am not counting or doing anything too drastic. But it seems smart to me to lower the amount of calories I normally take in as I age. I recall some dear friends of ours saying that they began to be filled up on much less food as they aged. Now that I officially qualify for many senior menus, I am awaiting that change in my hunger level.. My husband seems to be eating less, but not me. I stay as hungry as ever. Granted, he does have several years on me. My menu plan now calls for a few meals that range more in the 300 calorie range. Still low carb, but low fat too.  I still get my good-for-you fats at other times during the week.

So as spring has arrived and more salads are on the menu, I wanted a new low calorie dressing. I generally like the Skinny Girl dressings, but they do all seem to taste the same to me. This home made dressing is so different. I love cumin and this dressing tastes exotic and so substantial. Plus it is just around 11 calories per serving with just 1 carb. So move over Skinny Girl, I am more about Golden Girl these days. Even though I do still refuse AARP!


Golden Girl Salad Dressing

3/4 cup water
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sunflower lecithin
1/4 tsp glucomannan
(optional: 1 drop lemon oil)

Combine  ingredients in a bullet blender. Process until smooth. Let rest 5 minutes. Check thickness. Add more glucomannan if necessary and blend again.

Serves 6:  11 calories   1 g carb



This dressing is tart, but earthy. The sunflower lecithin helps as a thickener, but you could add a bit more glucomannan or xanthan gum instead. The strength of that product can really vary. I am experimenting with lecithin these days as I try to get the most nutrition out of everything I put in  my mouth. It helps with mouth feel and is good for my brain and nervous system as well.



I am doing this month's Diner News on the theme of  'Slimming Secrets". I have quite a few ideas to keep you--or get you--a little lighter. You won't want to miss it. In the mean time, this sweet puppy is my other way of keeping my energy up. Puppies make you feel young! My Trooper. Isn't he adorable?



Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


Order our books at: 


Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

3 comments:

luksky said...

Trooper is ADORABLE! Going to have to give the dressing a try, too!

unter der laterne said...

When I ate a low-cal, low fat diet , I was always hungry !
Now that I follow the wheatbelly book -hunger pangs are a thing of the past !

Whatever happened with your Keto diet ?

Good luck Lisa !

nanabella15 said...

Hi Lisa!
TROOPER! I wana kiss him and hug him! What a cutie pooch!!!
"Golden Girl" dressing!!! Sooooo funny!!! And looks yummy too... I also am at the age of hungry, but needing less calories, but still need to be low carb! And, I, too, continue to REFUSE AARP!!!!
😳😜😘😘😘😃❤👍🏻😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂