companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Ginger Cakes

These are delicious. Perfect for holiday gift giving to the low carber in your life. I am bringing them to a little get together tonight. Not low carbers, but they will like them anyway. I love the flavors of ginger and spice and these little cakes fit the bill. Old world holiday flavor. The base is almond flour, so they are rich. I love the way almond flour gives a little crusty edge.  That is why I like these cakes in small baking dishes rather than a full loaf.  I love the edges the most. You can use a regular loaf, but it is not nearly as fun.

Ginger Cakes

2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
3/4 cup sweetener equivalent to sugar
4 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp powdered sweetener
2 tsp cream

In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, sweetener if using a dry variety, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder and cloves. In a small bowl, beat eggs.  Add the eggs to the dry ingredients, then add the coconut oil and vanilla. If the batter becomes too thick, heat it in the microwave for 45 seconds.  This will remelt the coconut oil which may solidify if the eggs were cold. Spoon batter into mini loaf pans or muffin tins.Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40  minutes, depending on the size of the bakeware. Let the cakes cool in the pan.

Prepare the glaze by combining powdered sweetener and cream. Stir until dissolved and drizzle over the cooled cakes.

Makes 2 mini loaves.  Serves 8:  368 calories  6 net g carb

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! And I even have all of the ingredients! I'm so excited! Since I don't have any mini pans I think I will try in in muffin/mini muffin form though :)

Joy said...

I have been craving something like this, ever since the gingerbread cookies started appearing in the stores for the upcoming holidays! I will be making this tonight.... will try muffins I think, YUM!!

Unknown said...

My son and I were just dicussing gingerbread with whipped cream - YUM!! Gonna be trying these soon :)

Blessings!
Gail

NeeCee said...

These are SO being made at my house!

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!