companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Three Cheese Breakfast Puffs

Sometimes I just need some cheese. I love cheese. Did you catch that this new recipe has three different cheeses? Oh yeah! These little breakfast puffs are almost like little cheese souffles. They are puffy and light. Simple to put together and fun to eat. I made this recipe for 2-3.

Three Cheese Breakfast Puffs


4 eggs
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Stir in the cheeses. Spray mini muffin tins or silicon cups with oil. Fill each cup a little higher than you would with a cake batter. Place into a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. They will puff up and turn golden on top. Let the puffs cool 5 minutes before removing from cups. They will fall just a bit with cooling.

16 mini puffs:  42 calories each  <1 carb per puff
As a breakfast for 2:    335 calories  2 g carb



I didn't add a lot of other flavors to these because I wanted to really taste the cheese. That, I got. Can't help thinking that a few green chiles would be nice. But this morning, they were excellent with my giant cup of coffee. It makes the puffs look small, but they are the size of mini muffins, I promise.

The cottage cheese makes the texture light. I love adding cottage cheese to eggs. It makes scrambled eggs all tender and yummy too. I had a recipe for those in a Diner News last year. The Parmesan cheese is the canned kind. I love fresh more, but this is a staple in my kitchen. It adds flavor and body to the eggs.

I didn't get this batch done before the hubby ran out to work, so we did have leftovers. I tried them cold, and they are even good that way. These don't deflate, so go ahead and make a batch for your brown bag--or road trip or picnic. They will travel well.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, 
                                                                A Table for Two here. 

40 comments:

Unknown said...

These look really tasty! I'm definitely going to whip up a batch this weekend.

Anonymous said...

My husband can't eat parmesan, is there another cheese that you can use instead? :)

kyooty said...


These look fantastic!

Anonymous, maybe Romano?
i'm curious about other Nutritional factors? Any ideas.
I figure there is no fiber?

Karen said...

I just made these and they are WONDERFUL!!! I used regular size cupcake tin with cupcake papers and increased the time to 28 minutes. To add a little sweetness I added apple pieces. This is a wonderful idea-treat for breakfast or anytime!

Anonymous said...

If I make these in regular muffin tins, how many calories would each one have? Thanks.

Jan J. said...

Thanks for this recipe! I made them this morning in a regular muffin tin - it made 6 - and I added onion and garlic powder. They were pretty good! I am going to put a bit of ham on top when I have them for breakfast next time.

Anonymous said...

These were very delicious. I want to add some spinach!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Will add a bit of salt and some freshly ground pepper when I make them. May try some other savory herbs and spices in future batches too.

Anonymous said...

These look great! How do you store them, refrigerator or countertop? And if they're stored in the fridge, how would you suggest warming them up? Thanks! :) :)

Anonymous said...

Could I sub ricotta for the cottage cheese - have a 'thing" about cottage cheese

Anonymous said...

Also wondering if ricotta would work.
Anyone know?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if there is something that could be used in place of cottage cheese also?

Anonymous said...

Has anyone calculated the carbs if making reg cupcake size??

Anonymous said...

Just tried this recipe, but used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. They came out great. Will definitely do this again.

Anonymous said...

Eggs and cheese, that's it. All they are are mini omelets cooked in a muffin tin. Not very original, boring, no thanks.

Unknown said...

O yummy

Unknown said...

O yummy

Unknown said...

I made these this morning but I realized I didn't have any cottage cheese or ricotta. I used sour cream, and added garlic salt and Italian seasoning. I made them as full size muffins so they had to cook a bit longer, but WOW! They were delicious! They even got a thumbs up from my 9yo!

Anonymous said...

I seasoned these with a little salt and pepper and a bit of dry mustard to give it a little zing. Really yummy!

SympleTymes Cloth Art By Sherrie Nordgren said...

I just made these tonight and they are awesome!! Hubby Loves them also!, I made a bigger batch ..and used my 12 cup cup cake pan with liners ..Thank You for such a awesome recipe!!

Mother Hen said...

I made some this morning. I added a couple of drops of Cholula Green Pepper Sauce to each muffin, it kinda sinks in and kinda sits at the top, so it shows without running off the side. Perfectly Yummy!

Unknown said...

I made these just like the recipe. They are really good. I ate four. Will make them again with bacon bits

Cathy said...

I thought they were pretty salty. I'll try to fix that on my end. Easy & fun though

Unknown said...

These could be made larger for hamburger or hot dog buns

Anonymous said...

You, genius, you.

James said...

SO good!

Unknown said...

You seem amazingly boring for a person.

Lisa Marshall said...

I disagree on your evaluation of me Scott. I am out all day working with at risk teenagers, teaching every subject in high school from English lit to biology, ministering to those in prison and loving on my family. I have so many better things to do than leave condescending comments on blogs of those I have never met. I don't think my life is boring at all, but to each his own.

Unknown said...

My apologies.... The comment was NOT meant for you or the wonderful recipes you post. It was meant for one of the anonymous trolls that posted that the recipe sounded boring. For some reason it posted to the main thread instead of as a reply to that comment. Again my apologies. I thoroughly enjoy your recipes and make them often.

Lisa Marshall said...

Oh my, Scott. Thanks for clarifying that! Seeing that really knocked me for a loop this morning! So glad to head out for the day knowing you don't think I am amazingly boring. Have a great day.

Unknown said...

How can I reheat these? ?

Unknown said...

Made these tonight and they were so good! My 6 year old loved them too! I never thought of adding cottage cheese, that was a nice addition and I will add the cottage cheese to my eggs all the time now.

Lisa Marshall said...

I would just reheat in the microwave, but an oven is fine too.

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa, I've got these in my oven right now, can't wait to try them! I'd like to ask you a question, could you please contact me via my email? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa, I've got these in my oven right now, can't wait to try them! I'd like to ask you a question, could you please contact me via my email? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh sweet mercy these were fabulous! Thanks for such a wonderfully simple recipe!

Anonymous said...

Amazingly yummy! ~ Priscilla

Sandi said...

Thanks for sharing this quick & easy recipe. I have these in the oven right now -- can't wait to try em! I made regular muffin size vs. mini, and added a pinch of black pepper, dry mustard and garlic salt and instead of 1/4 cup cottage cheese I did 1/8 c of each cottage cheese & greek yogurt. I follow Weight Watchers, and will calculate the SmartPoints shortly. Can't wait til they're done!

MrsShamrock said...

I see a lot of people asking for carb count for bigger muffins. I have this link saved on my computer so I can do just that!
https://www.caloriecount.com/cc/account/flog_add.php?tab=new_recipe
Just put in the ingredients for the recipe, change the amount of servings & there you go! Hope that helps ;) It's very accurate I have found!

Anonymous said...

Such a great and easy recipe! I'll bet I could make Eggs Benedict using these instead of English Muffins! - Debbie from Oregon