companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Chopped Salad in a Cup


Summertime is perfect for salads. This salad is perfect for picnics. The Diner News this month is featuring picnic foods, and this is one of the ideas featured. No recipe really, just any combination of chopped veggies that appeals to you. For our picnic, I made one for each person with their favorite ingredients. There are lots to choose from:

celery
radishes
onion
grape tomatoes
chopped broccoli
mushrooms
carrots
hard boiled eggs
snow peas
red and green bell peppers
cheese, crumbled or shredded
cauliflower
cucumbers
sunflower seeds
bacon bits
jicama
bean sprouts
pickles
jarred peppers
ham cubes
etc.

It is easy to put any number together at once, assembly line fashion. I pack the dressing separately. Chopped veggie salads hold up to the summer heat better than lettuce based salads. Vinaigrette dressings work really well too. Because they are thinner, the dressing is easier to get to the bottom of the cup

These Crystal Clear Dixie beverage cups make for gorgeous presentation. Plus, clean up is easy too. Stack them together or toss them out. The lid has an opening for a straw. Instead of that, I place a plastic fork there, and it is ready to serve. They can be washed and reused several times. Yes, that is how I get them. I recycle from my drinks at church. I don't pay a thing, but you can buy them at office supply stores.

 If  you want to stir, leave some space at the top. The calorie and carb count will vary with the veggies and dressing you choose, but it can all be easily fit into any plan.


Here are a few photos of other picnic foods you can find in this month's edition of the Diner News.










If you would like to order of year of the Diner News, visit this page: 
http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php
Proceeds from my book sales go entirely to support my educational program. Your purchase makes a difference to the teens I teach.
I












8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic!

Great post!

And you now have a new reader! :D

Neat Nest Organizing said...

Hi! I would love to know where you purchased the clear dixie beverage cups with lids. I'm hoping I can find them in my local area. Great idea to use those & put the fork in the top! :) Robin

Miss Wanda said...

Thank you so much for the low carb recipes. It is good to see that dinner does not always have to be salad.

Crystal said...

I just finished a blog post which included your salad in a cup and the link to your site. My post is all about picnic foods! http://coachcrystalp.blogspot.ca/2014/08/picnic-planning-guide.html

Anonymous said...

The salad in a cup idea is really cute! What size cup did you use?

Unknown said...

Bela ideia. gostei

mercedes said...

Geniales@!!!

Anonymous said...

How long would you say they last for you?