companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sausage Roll Bites


Yummy Breakfast. I was always of fan of sausage rolls from doughnut shops. I am one of those people who cannot eat an entire meal of sweet. I have to end on savory. Weird, I know. Sausage rolls always added that salty goodness. The dough is just a little sweet. That fit me to a T.

Enter low carb lifestyle. Exit sausage rolls. Until this morning. Tired of eggs, I decided to try something new. I don't have any classes this week, so I had some time to play. John and I both liked these. I knew we would because I simply modified my coconut flour doughnut recipe. I added some maple flavoring. Yum. The tender crumb and slight sweetness really is similar to the doughnut shop variety.

The idea came into my head with all the work I have been doing with the next issue of the Diner News. It is going to feature ways to use an outdoor grill during your weekly prep day. One idea is to grill several packages of sausages. This is one of the ideas to put pre-grilled sausages to use for quick mid-week meals. All I did was slice up a sausage and whip up the batter. Easy Peasy. Done in under 30 minutes start to finish.


Sausage Roll Bites


1  5-6 ounce link sausage, pre-cooked
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 packets sweetener
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp water
1/4 tsp maple flavoring

Cut cooked sausage into 16 slices. In a microwavable bowl, combine coconut flour, sweetener, salt and baking soda. To the dry ingredients, add eggs, coconut oil, water and maple flavoring. Stir well. If mixture is thick, place into the microwave for 15-20 seconds. This will melt the coconut oil. Divide the batter among 16 mini muffin cups. Place a sausage slice on top and press slightly to bring batter up around the sides of the meat. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from the muffin cups.

4 bites per serving  233 calories  2 net carbs


Note: Coconut flours can vary, so if you find your batter is dry, add some additional water or melted butter.


Now I had better use my time away from school to get that new cookbook done---again. Grr. Even though I have to reformat all those recipes, I am still so honored to be a part of Low Carbing Among Friends. If you don't have all the books in the set, go get them. They truly are indispensable for our way of eating!  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php



34 comments:

Erica Gott, aka Erratica said...

OMG, these look so good! Gonna make some as soon as I can get some sausage. Wonder what else I could use, hmmmm.

Serendipity said...

Sounds WONDERFUL! Can't wait to try these!

unter der laterne said...

what kind of sausage did you use? I seldom bought sausages due to the high Sodium and nitrates so I appreciate your feed back very much! Thank you Barbara.

Luana said...

They sure do look great! Can't wait to try them.

Lisa Marshall said...

I love to buy sausages from Sprouts. They are natural, no fillers or nitrates. Some have some evaporated cane juice, but very little. I also like Zio brand brats.

Luana said...

Lisa, I love Sprouts' sausage, too! Their spicy chicken Parm sausage is my favorite.

unter der laterne said...

Lisa, I am new to your site, started to read your blog a couple of weeks ago!
I am very concerned about you (hurricanes). How are you doing? You have had some bad luck(burglaries), not that I like to remind you of this! I just felt horrible reading it! Could you please let us know how you are doing?! Please. Be safe and be well! Barbara from California.

Anonymous said...

These look lovely, Lisa! I even like things less sweet than that. So I'd probably leave the sweetener out of the dough. But I'm going to try these when I get some smoked sausage.

LeGwen said...

Lisa, how do you cut 1 sausage link into 16 slices? Maybe I'm not thinking of the same links. My "Jimmy Dean" turkey sausage links are about 2 1/2 inches long. Is that the same kind of link that you mean? BTW, these look wonderful and as soon as I figure out how to get my links cut I'm going to try them.

unter der laterne said...

Lisa, I really wish you would let us know that you are alright!
PLEASE!

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks guys, I am fine here. The closest tornado we had was about 20 miles away, and it was only an f-2. I did live in Moore when I was in college, and that is where much of the devastation took place. I am sure my old apartments are gone!

Lisa Marshall said...

The sausages I use are about 5-6 ounces each. Think more like a polish or bratwurst.

unter der laterne said...

orgerga queenHi Lisa, I checked your site every day and was so worried about you. It is wonderful that you are alright!
Did you get another computer yet?
Take are, Barbara from California.

Dawn said...

Lisa, when you say "maple flavoring" do you mean maple extract? Like a vanilla extract but with a maple flavor? Thanks so much--these look awesome and I can't wait to make them!

Harry said...

OMG Lisa, these look like heaven to me, can't wait to try them out :)

Ajordan said...

I made these today and my mixture was very crumbly. They taste a little dry. What should I change?

Me said...

Love theses - perfect snacks for work but skip the maple and sugar. Instead add a tablespoon of parma cheese

Herryponting said...

A study shows that a low-carb diet significantly decreases cravings for carbohydrates/starches and high-sugar foods.
Natrol Carb Intercept

Unknown said...

Hi!! Do your recipes include carb counts?? These look delicious!

Lisa Marshall said...

If your mixture is a little dry, it could be from the brand of coconut flour or from the egg size. Just add a bit more water, or if you need the fats, some melted butter.

Unknown said...

Wonder if these could be "pigs in a blanket" if I left out the maple syrup?

Unknown said...

Wonder if these could be "pigs in a blanket" if I left out the maple syrup?

Unknown said...

I'm thinking these could be pigs in a blanket if I left out maple syrup.

Unknown said...

LOOKS DELISH! Adding to my menu plan this week...:D

Tara J. said...

I've made these a few times now, occasionally using maple syrup to replace the sweetener and maple flavor; this last time I skipped them both since I use Aidell's Chicken & Apple sausage, which is a little sweet on its own.

My question is this - whenever I reheat them the next day, the dough is really dry. I added a Tbsp of melted butter this time, hoping that it would help, but alas, it's still dry this morning. It doesn't seem nearly as dry on the day they're made - is this just the nature of using coconut flour?

Thanks for all the great recipes! You def make LC a bit easier :)

Pami said...

Lisa- I've read thru all the comments, and didn't see this question asked, so forgive me if it's a rerun: Your note says "Note: Coconut flours can vary, so if you find your batter is dry, add some additional water or melted butter." What I'm trying to figure out is- What is the consistency of YOUR batter? Cake batter, maybe? Those Sausage Roll Bites are so cute! I can't wait to make them (as soon as it's cool enough to use the oven).

renee said...

I made these this morning. I substituted 2 T of butter for coconut oil and used SF maple syrup instead of sweetener & maple flavoring and only had ground sausage so I cooked that and then pressed it into the dough.(only because I was out of the items the recipe called for). They were amazing! Thanks for sharing this!!

Unknown said...

I made these this morning. I used smoked cheese jalapeno venison sausage. Easy and fast! I have missed those little "pigs in a blanket" since I stopped wheat three years ago. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What do you mean by two packets of sweetener??
That seems like a lot!

Anonymous said...

Hi, thank you for this recipe, I wanted to know could I make this using almond flour instead of coconut flour, and if so what would be the measurement?

Lisa Marshall said...

Almond flour generally cannot be substituted for coconut flour in recipes. Coconut flour absorbs much more liquid. Sorry, I have never tried them with almond flour. Perhaps you could adapt an almond flour muffin recipe?

KellyG said...

I really love your recipes!

Life in the Auto Lane said...

Can these be frozen.

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you literally kill fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!