companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, February 7, 2014

Chili n Cheesebread in a Jar

I don't like giving away all my recipes from the Diner News here on the blog, but I am enjoying this one way too much not to share. I took a jar to school today and had the best and easiest warm lunch ever! Hot chili with a very close to cheesy cornbread top. Just break up the cheesy bread and stir it all together. Heaven. I wasn't even jealous of the chili cheese tots the students brought in. That's sayin' something!

If you are a chili lover, you really should try this. It is easy, fun and delicious.


Chili n Cheesebread in a Jar

4-6 cups prepared chili 
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided use)
1/2 cup almond meal, coarsely ground
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup golden flax meal
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp olive oil
4 eggs

Fill 4 pint jars with 1 1/2 cups of chili each. Divide 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and sprinkle it on top of the chili in each jar. Mix all remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Divide batter among 4 jars filled 2/3 of the way up with chili. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Let cool and seal. Chill or freeze. Thaw before baking. To serve, heat in a microwave or in a traditional oven.

4 Servings     391 calories   2 net  carbs  (this is for the cheese bread only. Add in your chili nutrition facts)

If you are counting calories, you may want to limit chili to one cup. That layer of cheese keeps the chili from soaking into the cheese bread while it bakes. No doughy underside. It is ready to eat with just a warm up. 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave was good for me today, but your microwave may vary. Also, mine was not frozen, so if yours is, take it out of the freezer to thaw the night before. Temperature extremes are never a good idea with glass. Heating and eating out of glass is a good thing, though. No ugly orange ring on a plastic bowl, and no chemicals leaching into the food. Of course, these reheat well in the oven also.

That is the last "in a jar" recipe I am sharing now. If you want the rest, you will just have to order the Diner News.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


5 comments:

Kelly Rae said...

I would like to make this in a casserole (for my parents) rather in a jar. Could you tell me how to adapt/change in order to do so? I'm thinking that this might fit into an 8x8 pan. Thoughts? Thank you so much! I'm always looking for recipes I can make and give to my parents. Kelly

Lisa Marshall said...

I would try an 8 x 8. You are such a good daughter!

michelle c said...

I don't have almond meal. Right now all I have is Soy Flour (hard to find anything else in my little bitty town). I know it's not ideal, but do you think soy flour will work? I can't wait to try this recipe!

Lisa Marshall said...

maybe?

flora said...

Thank you for all the recipe you share. I didnt know the jar can go in the oven do I if to put it in water bath or just in a cookie sheet?