companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole for 2...or 6. You Choose.

In the family style version, this casserole was formerly and affectionately known as "Hen in a Tree." That is because my boys once called broccoli "little trees." I do miss those days of having lots of little men running around the house. But seasons change and so did this recipe. A new name and albeit much more boring name--but the same homey, comforting taste. Chicken, cream cheese and some trees broccoli.

This is one of the old recipes I am reworking for my upcoming project of the Diner system for Two. I have invested in a few new smaller casserole dishes. This recipe will still feed 4-6, so it is still family friendly. The thing is, when you are just a couple or a single, you can prep it all in individual casserole dishes that will go in to the freezer for another day. Almost no work and a nice warm homecooked meal awaits. The Diner system is great for small families too. I know this would be excellent for my mom who tends to skip dinner and just eat cereal. She says it is too much trouble to cook just for herself. I really don't know how it is that I have not convinced her of the genius of stocking the freezer.

So here is the updated and scaled down version of an old Multiply Meals favorite. Now perfect for one family meal or several dinners for couples. Because it freezes well--either before or after baking, you don't have to eat it for every meal for the next few days. It will wait happily until it finds a way to your menu again, or until you just crave it too badly.

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

Pure comfort food! This casserole will feel like home. Serve with a green salad on the side.

1 1/2 lb boneless chicken breasts
1 tsp seasoning salt
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp mustard powder
1 lb broccoli
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (divided)

Coat chicken pieces with seasoning salt. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. While chicken is baking, steam the broccoli until just tender crisp. Drain well.

In a medium sauce pan, stir together the chicken broth and cream. Add chunks of cream cheese, whisking until blended. Stir in mustard and set aside.

When the chicken done, chop it into bite sized chunks. Combine the chicken, cheese sauce, broccoli, and a half cup of the shredded cheddar. Pour into casserole dish(es). Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes. (To make a Multiply Meal, freeze 4-5 portions either before or after baking.


Serves 6:   394 calories   5 net carbs

I like to gently stir this casserole before serving, to break up the cheese a bit. Again, I like to bake this in individual casseroles to stock the freezer. Couple might want to bake in three small casseroles. Families who want to eat it all at once will do fine with an 8 inch square dish. So delish. Having a big week with summer camp this week and I am tired. Next week will be more time to blog. Until then...

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great Low Carbing Among Friends cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I replace all the heavy creams with just broth? And use low fat mozzarella and parmesan cheese ? I need a great chicken and broccoli dish but I can't eat the heavy dairy.

Silver 925 jewelery said...

I like your information, I hope everybody lick this Post.

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious. I am making it tonight. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Made it last night - Loved it. Also made the pizza's that you posted the other day and the family loved them !
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I made this dish last night. Really delicious but oh - So rich!!

plush said...

IF you technically "steam" the broccoli their would be nothing to drain well.

Rachel said...

Made this for dinner tonight. It was REALLY good!

Mel said...

Just made this in preparation for this week's dinner and it's sooo good. Super tasty. I didn't have mustard powder, so I just added a heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard instead. Also, I baked the chicken in an oven bag to keep the moisture in and it was falling apart when I was trying to cut it up :)

Unknown said...

This is recipe came out great. What is it with people on this site trying to use "low fat" options? Ive lost 195lbs and have weighed 160lbs for 6 years. NOTHING in my fridge or kitchen is low fat. Low carb isn't low fat and if you combine the two you set yourself up for failure. You'll DEFINITELY lose weight and you'll DEFINITELY gain it back. Losing weight means changing your LIFE. Low fat is absolutely fine! You can live with it forever. Going low carb AND low fat is nearly impossible to maintain. Too restrictive.

Unknown said...

Warren Lawler, maybe these people don't want to eat dairy or can't eat it. Maybe it's not about the fat at all.

Unknown said...

I made this recipe. I bought a new bottle of powdered mustard at Sprouts because the recipe calls for it. I think the mustard ruined the whole batch because it had a horseradish flavor. I would not recommend powdered mustard. I wish I had used wholegrain mustard. We all dislike horseradish!!!

Unknown said...

How much is in a serving?

Unknown said...

How much is in a serving?

Kathy Austin said...

Thank you for that. High fat is essential