companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, November 16, 2014

4 Amazing and Easy Hot Drinks

Peppermint Cocoa

We are getting our first snowfall of the season here. It is the perfect day to cuddle up under a blanket and sip something sweet and steamy. I have 4 different ideas for you--and I have treated myself to one of each this weekend. They are easy to make and are really just as good as any high carb original.

The first two recipes use So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage in a carton. I have the unsweetened vanilla variety. You could also use almond milk or any coconut/almond blend. Just remember that this is not the coconut milk in a can. I also used a bit of canned whipped cream as a topping. I know it is the lazy way and has some sugar, but I just use a bit--1 -2 carbs at the most. You can sweeten to your tastes. I think my sweet receptors have dulled over the years, as I tend to need more sweetener than some recipes call for. It is always easy to start with less and add more if you need it. For my versions this weekend, I used mostly stevia, and I seem to need more of that. It is easy to overdo though, so use caution.  As usual, your mileage may vary!

Peppermint Cocoa

3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk beverage
1 tsp cocoa powder
1/8 tsp peppermint extract
Sugarfree sweetener to taste (I used the equivalent of 4 tsp or 2 packets)
Canned whipped cream for garnish

Heat the coconut milk in a pan or microwave. Stir in the cocoa powder, peppermint extract and sweetener. Top with whipped cream and enjoy.

Serves 1:  64 calories    <2 net carbs



Coconut Cream Pie Hot Sipper

This is an unusual hot drink. No chocolate, no tea, no fruit. It tastes like vanilla and coconut, reminiscent of coconut cream pie. The tiny shake of salt and sliver of butter make a big difference in that pie like flavor. It definitely counts as dessert!

Coconut Cream Pie Hot Sipper

1 cup unsweetened vanilla coconut milk beverage
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp butter
small pinch salt
Sugarfree sweetener to taste (I used the equivalent of 4 tsp or 2 packets)
1/2 tsp toasted shredded coconut
2 tbsp canned whipped cream

Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan or microwave.  Stir in the vanilla, butter, salt and sweetener. Adjust sweetener to taste. Top with whipped cream and shredded toasted coconut.

Serves 1:  130 calories  3 net g carbs





Hot Orange Spice

This cirtusy hot drink tastes amazingly like the Hot Russian Tea mix my mom made in the eighties. The main event there was Orange Tang and instant tea. This one has no tea. The wonderful orange flavor comes with a packet of True Orange. Love that stuff. Then some common spices and you have a terrific drink that warms you up but doesn't cost you the calories and carbs!

Hot Orange Spice 

3/4 cup water
1 packet True Orange
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Sugarfree sweetener to taste (I used the equivalent of 4 tsp or 2 packets)

4 calories 1 net g carb




Pumpkin Pie Spiced Coffee

I love spiced coffee. What I don't like is having 3 or 4 bags of flavored coffees open at once. We really don't have to buy a specialty coffee to get a wonderful spiced flavor. Using my coffee press, I make just a single cup of coffee and add the spices directly to the grounds. Voila!

Pumpkin Pie Spiced Coffee

1 cup water
1 tbsp ground coffee
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp half and half
Sweetener to taste

In a single cup brewer, place coffee and pumpkin pie spice. Brew as usual. Add creamer and sweetener as desired.

Serves 1:   23 calories   1 g carb

So there you have four ways to keep warm and happy this winter. Be sure to adjust the calorie and carb count to match the beverage you use to make milk, and the sweetener you choose.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, 
A Table for Two here.

3 comments:

Retta said...

Sitting here wrapped up in a blankie wrap with a heater at my feet...

I love those True Orange/Lime/Lemon packets. Never occurred to me to use one in a HOT drink. Mmmm... gonna try this right now. Thanks!

Sunny said...

I hadn't thought of the Hot Russian Tea mix in years. I wonder if we could make it low carb.

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!