companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Abuelita's Chocolate Truffles


This weekend I got to babysit my grandpuppy while my oldest came into town for a party with old friends. In a way that makes me a grandma--an abuela. Call her little and it becomes abuelita. My maternal grandmother was always "Little Grandma" to me. She was a pint size powerhouse. She gave me no Mexican heritage that I know of, but these little truffles celebrate Mexico. And what a delight they are!

Mexican chocolate often has hints of other flavors. For today, I chose cinnamon, coffee and roasted peanuts. Hubby just doesn't do the chile pepper influence, and I had better not plan on eating the whole batch of these all alone. Although plain chocolate truffles are a treat, these are over the top. They are incredibly easy to make too. As long as you don't mind getting your hands all chocolatey when you roll them into balls.

 If you don't like that, you can try them as a pie filling. So rich, you had best plan for mini pie shells like I did. I make a batch of these and keep some in the freezer for quick desserts. I like them both ways.



Abuelita's Chocolate Truffles

3/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered erythritol blend
1 tsp sugarfree smooth peanut butter
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp instant coffee granules
1/8 tsp chocolate flavored liquid stevia (or plain)
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
1/4 cup granulated sweetener 
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

In a small saucepan, combine cream, erythritol, peanut butter, cinnamon, coffee and stevia. Heat, stirring constantly until peanut butter is melted and milk is just beginning to simmer. Remove from heat and stir in chopped chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and incorporated. Pour into mini pie shells or chill mixture until firm, about 30 minutes.

While chocolate is chilling, combine granulated sweetener and cinnamon in a small bowl.

 Use a scoop to form 18 balls. Roll in your hand to make a smooth ball shape. Transfer truffles to the cinnamon sweetener mixture and toss to coat. For a pretty presentation, serve each truffle in a mini cupcake liner.

Each truffle has 61 calories and 1 net carb


I like dark chocolate, and these are intensely chocolaty. One thing I don't like about the truffles that are rolled in cocoa powder is the initial bitterness. The cinnamon sweetener coating on these fixes that problem. Cinnamon and chocolate is such a brilliant combination. The coffee is subtle, and frankly, I didn't notice the peanut butter, but I am sure it adds something.


Add these to a cookie tray for a party, or wrap them up as a gift for someone you love who adores chocolate but does not need that sugar overload. They will think you are amazing. And you are! Enjoy those holidays and don't deny yourself some treats. These will fix any cravings for sweets.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, 
A Table for Two here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My, oh my...those are the best truffles I've tasted since my days of eating sugar! I've tried a lot of fudge and truffle recipes and this is the best! I left out the cinnamon since I don't like cinnamon and chocolate, and just rolled them in powdered Swerve and cocoa. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe and have a merry Christmas Lisa!

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks Kathy. Merry Christmas to you too!