companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Chili Cheese Egg Roll Ups

My amazing number 1 son gave me a gift certificate for Mother's Day. I got a non-stick skillet (and a few other things) Gotta say I am generally not a fan of non stick technology. I have had too many go bad. I have higher hopes for this one. One of the ways I count on my usual cast iron skillet to be non stick is to give it a quick sprinkle of salt and pepper to make an irregular surface. This skillet uses the same concept. I got The Rock from Starfrit. It is very cool looking.

 No commercial endorsements here--just that I only had to gamble with $20 at Walmart. Since my son is a success in business, I had more than that to spend. Can you sense my mama pride? Thank you Cecil Andrew. He came from Arkansas to see me too. I paid him back with Southwestern Beef and Swiss Beefkey. Two of his favorites. He is an accountant in the chicken industry, so I try never to feed him chicken. He gets enough already.

This is our last week of school. Sadly, it is our last week ever. I simply cannot support the school financially as I have the last three years. I do thank all of you who have purchased my cookbooks. All my earnings have gone into the education of our teens. I will have to find a job with a paycheck. Novel idea for me. John and I are in serious need of a retirement plan, so I am faithful that the good Lord has a plan for my future in that area. After Friday, I will have much more time to create recipes and blog. Well, I do have to move out of the school and sell off most of our curriculum and supplies. But then I will be back full force. Looking forward to more creative time in the kitchen. I am one of those who needs projects to be contented.

Being our last days together, our teachers decided to make this the most fun week ever. Tomorrow we have one project of making an art mural by throwing egg shells filled with paint onto a large canvas. The kids have wanted to do this all year. Great way to use up the remnants of all that paint. So of course, we need egg shells. Lots of egg shells. Great time to make a new egg dish and to try out my new skillet. Both got good ratings around here.



One of my all time favorite dishes is my Incredible Egg Enchiladas. Eggs, cheese and enchilada sauce. Yum. I also am a fan of the Bacon Breakfast Enchiladas I posted in February. Those are made more like a jelly roll than a filled tortilla. These are the same. The differences are in the flavors added to the egg mixture and in the rolling technique. Rather than pouring the egg into a rectangular shape, I went ahead and filled the base of the skillet. When the egg was done, I folded two edges to form a straight edge. These became the ends of the rolls and kept the cheese from oozing out; plus it makes a roll that is not thinner on the ends. Works great with a good non stick surface.



Chili Cheese Egg Roll Ups


2 eggs
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp oat fiber (optional, but add a little sturdiness)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp onion powder
1 tsp coconut oil
2 slices Colby Jack cheese
1/4 cup prepared chili

In a small bowl, beat eggs. Stir in chili powder, oat fiber if using, cumin, salt, and onion powder. Heat coconut oil in skillet. Pour half the egg mixture into skillet, tilting pan to allow egg to cover the bottom. Tear the cheese into pieces and scatter over the egg. When egg is just set, turn one edge of the egg inward about an inch toward the center of the skillet. Repeat on the opposite side. These straight edges will form the ends of your roll up. Roll the other edge about one inch. Use a folding motion, roll it jelly roll fashion to the end. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining egg mixture. Top with hot chili.

Serves 1   367 calories   5 net g carbs

Hubby loved these for a quick dinner tonight. We had filled up on salad bar at lunch. I had some home made turkey chili leftover, but I figured the nutrition stats with Hormel Turkey No Bean Chili. If you make your own spice blends, you could sub a little taco seasoning for the spices I used. For a little more heat, add some diced jalapenos when you place the cheese.



Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen those skillets at the store, I really look forward to seeing what you think of it! I've been using ceramic coated pans like the $20 green Orgreenic brand, and more expensive Cuisinart ceramic ones, and they work fairly well. Surprisingly, the Cuisinart ones need seasoning occasionally.

Because we have a parrot, we never use the plastic teflon/teflon clone types since if they burn, the fumes will kill birds, and are definitely not good for human lungs either.

I'm looking forward to trying the baking mixes in this month's newsletter, too!
Thank you,
Lori

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Selena Gomez said...

Very nice post, impressive. its quite different from other posts. Thanks for sharing.
Chowringhee Restaurant near Venkateshwar College.


Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!