companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Fall Fondue



Acorn squash is usually not my squash of choice. They are a little sweeter and higher carb than my favorite this time of year--Delicata. But these are easier to find, and often stunning to look at. This one I found last year had the deep rich green you expect, but also had this gorgeous orange. It was perfect to make a fondue where the outer shell served as the serving bowl. Simply stunning.

This is a special occasion dish, for sure. To keep the carbs down, you need to share it with 11 friends. Like at Thanksgiving perhaps? That is why I featured this recipe in last November's Diner News. It was a hit with my family, so I thought I would feature it now, almost a year later. Remember, most of the recipes in my newsletter are not shared on this blog, so it is a value to subscribe. I do share some of the recipes, because I simply cannot operate a full test kitchen. I have a busy life too! This is a winner, and if you want all my recipes, don't forget that you can order back issues of the Diner News too. It is all on the web page along with my e-books.

Now back to this fondue. Nothing is more fun to share. This recipe capitalizes on the natural sweetness of the squash and cranks it up with some sugarfree apple drink. I hate using aspartame, but I do on the rare occasion. If you can find a pre-sweetened apple drink with natural sweeteners, by all means use that! I would. More and more drinks are on the market everyday. It is hard to keep up.

This is more cheese flavored than it is sweet, so it is still good for veggies and low carb bread dippers.

Acorn Squash Fondue


This one is perfect for fall parties. It is a little sweet and a little cheesy. Surprisingly unique. I like it with roasted Brussels  and mushrooms, but low carb breads made into toasts or crackers would be wonderful as well.

1 acorn squash
1 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup sugarfree apple flavored drink (Great Value )
3 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup cream
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Cut the top third off the acorn squash. Cut the point from the base of the squash so it will sit steadily. Do not cut to the hollow part or the fondue will leak out. Remove the seeds and pulp. Rub the insides with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes then scoop out the insides to 1/2 inch from the shell.

Add the scooped squash to a small saucepan.  Stir in the apple drink and heat for 10 minutes to further soften the squash. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to make a puree.   Return the squash to the pan and stir in the cream cheese and cream. Heat and stir until the cream cheese melts and is fully incorporated. Add the shredded cheese one fourth cup at a time, stirring continually until melted. Add thyme and salt.

Pour the hot fondue into the reserved squash shell. Sprinkle nutmeg on top for garnish. Serve with roasted vegetable dippers or low carb crackers.

Serves 12:         95 calories       2 net carbs     8 g fat


So if you have a party, luncheon, girls night out, or any other fun fall event, try this. It will please those who do not low carb too. It reheats in a microwave when you arrive at the party, so it is impressive but easy.



Get more great  low carb recipes at Low Carbing Among Friends.

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, A Table for Two here. 

2 comments:

Alicia said...

This sound so good! The other day I bought my first Acorn Squash. Baked it with olive oil, salt and pepper and it was delicious! I ate almost all of it before I decided to check the carb count....I was stunned by how carby it is. But it was good while it lasted!

Lisa Marshall said...

They are good, but try the Delicata or Kabocha. Better carb count.