companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, August 12, 2016

Thai Tuna Bowls


It is salad season around here. On hot summer days, I love meals that don't require any cooking. Thanks to the fact that I had some of my new rice substitute blend all prepared ahead and chilled, that is. I am focused on making incredible new bowl meals right now. That will be the theme for the September Diner News. Yes, I do constantly work on that! Lots of wonderful ingredients all placed inside one bowl! Most of them call for a rice or grain base, and my new substitute works really well.

I will get that recipe to you in the new Diner News come September. For now, just make this recipe with cauliflower rice or Shirataki rice. Use the Konjac type and you will never have to cook for this yummy bowl at all! I know, lots of you just can't handle that texture, but I really think the rice version beats the noodles. Plus, there is so much going on in this salad, the texture is not a big deal. But here is a sneak peak at the rice sub I used. Please don't hate me for not sharing this recipe right now--I do need to keep some valuable recipes for those of you who purchase my newsletter. We really do rely on that small income since my hubby is still without employment. (10 months now and trying not to count.)


But forget about the rice substitute. With all the flavorful ingredients in this bowl, you don't even taste it. Who would with lime juice, sambal oelek, peanut butter and soy sauce? Add all that to the crunch of Trader Joe's Cruciferous Crunch fresh produce blend. I love this mixture of cabbages, brussels, kale, and broccoli. Joe does the cleaning and chopping. All I have to do is grab a handful and throw it in my bowl. Easy. If you don't have that, use any leafy green.


Don't like tuna? You could easily use chicken. Or leave out the protein altogether and serve it as a side dish. Can't take the heat? Leave out the chili sauce. No big rules here. I made a generous amount of dressing, so you could definitely add more greens to stretch this out to feed more people.

Thai Tuna Bowl


1/2 cup rice substitute
5 oz can tuna, drained
1/4 cup julienned cucumber
3 tbsp diced bell pepper
2 tbsp diced red onion
4-6 fresh basil leaves
1 tsp finely chopped peanuts
Dressing:
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp MCT oil (or light olive oil)
1 tsp Sambal Oelek chili sauce (optional for heat)
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp peanut butter
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/4 tsp ginger

Chop vegetables and arrange in groups in a bowl. Place tuna in the center. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over all. Garnish with basil leaves and  chopped peanuts. 
                
334  cal.  12 net g carb




That carb count seems a little high. But remember, like George says, not all carbs are created equal. These are from fresh veggies. If you need to keep carbs down more, cut back on the onion. This is an entire meal also, so 12 fits within our goals.


So eat up this easy to make bowl, and I promise you will feel healthy all day.  I always feel proud when I eat kale. I have read that we should rotate our greens, and buy having this mixture already filled with a variety, that is already happening for me too! Any shortcut I can find is a good thing, no?


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.  


2 comments:

Joy Tracey said...

Hi Lisa, I ordered the newsletter and wondered how I could get past newsletters for this year. Is there a way I can purchase them from you? Would love to! Thanks for all you do! Sincerely, Joy Tracey

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks Joy! If you have a current Diner News subscription, I can set the order back to January and send the back issues in an email if you like. I will message you.