companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Tahini and Garlic Roasted Broccoli



Still waiting for the real fall to arrive. Scarecrows are showing their faces around town, but we haven't had a good cool snap yet. At least it was cool enough to crank up the oven today. I have been wanting to try this Roasted Tahini Broccoli from Food 52 for a while. I won't turn on the roasting temps until it is less than 90 outside. Of course, I always add my own spin to most any recipe I borrow. For one thing, I love the convenience of frozen broccoli. I buy mine at Sam's Club. Great price and the best quality. No hard stems, just the good stuff. If the original recipe used fresh broccoli, I have no idea how it was done (to my likinganyway) in that amount of cooking time. But who cares, you are trying my recipe anyway, right? Since I am known to overbake most everything, you may want to check at the 10 minute mark instead of my 15.


I lightly steamed my 1 pound bag in the microwave. It was not piping hot, but all frozen broccoli is more tender than fresh. We could get into the biology of plant cells, but I get enough of that at school. Five minutes was perfect with my appliance. If you stay away from microwaves, just steam it until barely tender. Dry off the broccoli a bit so the tahini sauce will stick, then plunge it into that hot oven. Best of both worlds.

I love broccoli. It goes with so many flavors and has so many prep possibilities.  I don't mind buying that wholesale four pound bag at all. I swear I can use roasted broccoli as snack food....if it wasn't such a gas producer... I have more digestion issues lately. TMI, I know.

So make this broccoli dish. You will like it, I hope. It is not the most visually appealing recipe in your side dish arsenal, but it is quite tasty. A good change from cheese sauce. The sesame, garlic and lemon are natural together.



Tahini and Garlic Roasted Broccoli

1 lb bag frozen broccoli florets
3 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp soy sauce or tamari
1/4 tsp black pepper

Cook broccoli in a microwavable bag for 5 minutes, or lightly steam. Drain very well.

In a large bowl, combine tahini, lemon juice, oil, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce and pepper. Toss to coat florets well. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Serves 4:  161 calories     5 net g carb (9 g)


If I happened to have some roasted garlic, I certainly would have used that rather than powder. But, I don't have the time for all that today. Got my fall decorations out, so now the place is festive with pumpkins. I can hardly wait for sweater weather.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.  

No comments: