companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, October 7, 2016

Frosted Caramel Apple Dream


Seems to be the time of year when delicious drinks abound. So many fantastic fall flavors are calling from every coffee shop. This little beauty is so quick to make, but packs more flavor than you would ever expect! What I love most is that I don't have to empty the spice rack and do a lot of measuring to get all the flavor. I also love that I get that hint of apple cider without the sugars in the apple.

Even more, caramels apples are all over the place this time of year. Although I never masted the art of eating one without a mess or a lot of apple left on the stick, their appeal remains. Caramel dip with apples is the go to fall appetizer. Great until you add up the carbs, right?

So what's a low carber to do? We want all the flavor, demand no sugar, and would love for it to be low calorie to boot, right? We have a job cut out for us, indeed. But...

Celestial Seasonings has really done all the work for us. This delicious fall drink is really just an iced version of their tea aptly named Caramel Apple Dream. It is rich with cinnamon and spices, all wrapped up in a base of hibiscus, chamomile  and chicory. No caffeine, no sugar. Not sure how they get the caramel flavor in there, but they do!


I added a bit of cashew milk to make the caramel taste a little creamier. If you like, you could even stir in some cream. Use your sweetener of choice. You really can't mess this up if you start with just a little sweetener and add more to taste.


Frosted Caramel Apple Dream

2 1/2 cups boiling water
2 Caramel Apple Dream tea bags
1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
liquid stevia or other sweetener to taste

Boil water. Steep the tea bags for 6-8 minutes. (I do this in a quart sized canning jar) Remove bags, giving them a little squeeze to get the last of the flavor out. Stir in nut milk. Sweeten to taste. Chill or bring to room temperature before pouring over ice. If you are working with hot tea, you will lose some flavor, and may need to add more sweetener.

Calories depend on the almond or cashew milk chosen. I use Silk unsweetened cashew milk with 25 calories per cup. This made 2 smaller servings or 1 all day sipper drink.

I made this on Sunday, when we had really warm temperatures. Thus, the frosted version. Today. we had a cold front, so I will enjoy a cup hot. That is one thing I love about fall. Cooool temperatures early, warm late. Cooler one day, warmer the next. I do feel for those of you who live where you do not get much variation with the change of seasons. I know you love your warm weather, so it is a trade off. I just love the crisp fall air and the cozy winter days. For those of you with everyday at 80 degrees, this one is a fall drink you will enjoy all the more!


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Sound amazing. I love Celestial Teas. My favorite during this time of year is the Harvest Pumpkin but I'll be on the hunt for this apple one now!

Libbi said...

This looks great! Thanks for the post.

Rita said...

I found the Yogi caramel apple spice tea to work better than the Celestial Seasonings one - more apple and caramel flavor and less cinnamon. But, other than that, great idea and recipe!

Anonymous said...

Howmany carbs

Lisa Marshall said...

The calories and carb count depend on your brand of milk and sweetener. I use a no carb liquid stevia and for two servings my cashew milk has half a carb. One carb if you drink the whole recipe.