companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Cranberry Breast of Turkey and the November Thanksgiving Diner News Special Edition


Thanksgiving has been happening at my house for a couple of weeks now. That's life with a blog and newsletter--always a little ahead. So today, while everyone else was planning a costume for some Halloween fun, I was slaving away in the kitchen. In fact that is where I have been all weekend. (except for several grocery stores and church) It doesn't matter that it is in the mid 80s here and my kitchen is hot. I am now happy dancing that I got it all done. My mom did come over to help. What a saint she is! (And she doesn't even like squash and cranberries. I adore them both, so I am now wondering if I am adopted.) Plus, when my wonderful son came over for dinner, he had a Thanksgiving feast awaiting! It pays to look at the bright side, yes?

This is what I fed my boys for dinner. Mama had tasted every dish and declared she was full.  I got it all together while my son answered the door for trick-or-treaters. We had a weird night blending holidays! Most importantly, he liked the meal. I can't heal him, but I can feed him, right? This fabulous Cranberry Roasted Breast of Turkey, and about 7 or 8 of the dishes you will see listed below were all on our table tonight. If you want all of those recipes, you will just have to order the Diner News!

The roasted turkey is sweet and savory all at the same time. Mellow herbs and the tart surprise of cranberry now and then. I love the flavor combo. I buy the frozen breast of turkey from Aldi. I have made at least a dozen of these and they have been excellent every time. No bones. Tender and juicy both in a crockpot, my older recipe, and roasted, like I did today.


Cranberry Roasted Turkey Breast
1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup erythritol / stevia blend
1/2 tsp orange extract
1 thawed breast of Turkey, boneless
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp poultry seasoning (3 if turkey has strings holding it together)
1 rib celery
1/2 cup chicken broth

In a small saucepan, heat cranberries, water, sweetener and orange extract. Cook, stirring until berries burst. Mash the berries and cook until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.

Place thawed breast into a casserole dish. Rub softened butter all over the breast. Sprinkle the seasonings on all surfaces. Cut the celery into three sticks. Place them under the turkey breast to lift it off the baking surface.
Spoon half of the cranberry mixture onto the breast of turkey. Place into a heated 375 degree oven. Pour the broth into the dish. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove turkey and spoon the remaining cranberry sauce over the top. Cover with a tent of foil and bake an additional 20 minutes or until an internal thermometer reads 175 degrees.       
                                                                                                   Serves 6:  269 calories  4 net g carb



Because the Kirkwood breast of turkey has string binding it, I use additional spices. I also saved some cranberry sauce to baste after removing the string.



I have one last day of my fall break from school. Now that this Diner News has been put to bed, I will enjoy it best as I can. No doubt, I now need to jump into Christmas preparations. Don't forget that I asked you to help out by sending your favorite Christmas recipes. With my precious boy having surgery to remove his cancer, I will be a little busy and stressed. Maybe a lot stressed? Trying to keep the faith.

Now time to put me to bed too. Here are some of the gorgeous recipes in this month's expanded edition of the Diner News. The hubby and I are also putting together a bundle of all my November issues of the News. These are among my favorites. So many incredible side dishes. Be watching for the chance to pick that up...so maybe I do still ave a little work to do on the last day of my fall break.

Bourbon Kabocha Whip

Sweet Bacon Hot Slaw

Grandma's Holiday Frosted Cranberry Jello Salad

Sage Stuffing

Cranberry Butternut Bowl 

Cranberry Bacon Jam

Mini No Bake Pumpkin Chiffon Cup

Bourbon Braised Green Beans

Cranberry Curd Dessert Minis

Waffle Grilled Squash

Cranberry, Walnut and White Cheddar Cheeseball


Herb Brined and Roasted Turkey Legs

Heritage Pie

Autumn Jewel Salad

Garlic and Parmesan  Delicata

Harvest Salad

Pumpkin Vinaigrette
 Surely after feasting your eyes on these, you want to order the Diner News, right? It is good to enjoy all these wonderful foods!  Just head over to the website and order with Paypal.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.

1 comment:

Lewis Clark said...

I have heard a lot about turkey but never tried it before. I followed your this recipe and tried this turkey recently on thanksgiving for my friends. They loved it. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.