companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Miso Ginger Salmon Salad




I haven't used miso much in my life. To tell the truth, I didn't even know where to find it in the grocery store until recently. It kept popping up as an ingredient that chefs around the world adore. And not just for Japanese inspired dishes. I decided to see what all that hoopla was about. Gotta say, now I get it. By the way, miso is made from fermented soy beans. The red paste is a stronger flavored variety. Mine has 3 carbs per tablespoon, so it fits well in our eating plan. Hint: I found a good organic paste with the vegan foods in the cooler section.

THIS SALAD! This salad is not the winner of a beauty contest, but the taste is incredible. It had me at first bite! My hubby looked at me sideways and requested leftover pork roast. That is the kind of guy he is. I don't know how I married someone with so little adventure in his soul. His only idea of salad is something covered with ranch dressing. Gotta love him--but love this salad too.


It starts with that miso based sauce. More than half of that pours into the salmon itself. Now this would be amazing with freshly baked salmon. It would be prettier too. My canned salmon is not so pink. But I was developing the recipe for a summer Diner News. No cooking here. This sauce certainly elevates a humble canned fish. Now that the fish tasted amazing, the rest of the sauce combined with sesame seed oil, a personal favorite of mine, to make a dressing. This stuff bursts with flavor! The lettuce is a simple carrier for all that taste. I also like the tangy flavor from my jicama pickles. (The small white cubes in the photo) I made those for April's Diner News. Crunchy still, after 3 months in the fridge! I will include the recipe at the bottom of the page, but you really should make sure you have all the 2017 Diner News issues in your collection. To do that, go here.

Miso Ginger Salmon Salad


6 oz canned salmon
1 tbsp red miso paste
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp erythritol/ stevia sweetener
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tbsp sesame oil
3 oz spring salad mix
2 baby carrots
¼ cup jicama pickles
1 oz roasted peanuts

Drain canned salmon. Remove skin and bones or mash in. In a small bowl, combine miso, vinegar, soy sauce, sweetener and ginger. Add about 3/4 of this mixture to the salmon and flake with a fork. Set aside. To the remaining mixture, stir in sesame oil. This will be the dressing.

Divide salad greens between 2 bowls. Place half of the salmon into a ramekin. Turn it out over the greens. Finely chop carrots, jicama pickles and peanuts. Sprinkle over the salmon and salad. Drizzle the dressing over each salad.

Serves 2:   338 calories   7 net g carb





Please, do use fresh ginger for this one. It really is amazingly different from powered. Of course, the peanuts are a favorite too. So much going on in this salad. So very much Umami. That's the 5th taste receptor that is so hard to explain. The miso and soy sauce add that factor in, as well as the fish itself.
I just can't describe what a wonderful salad experience. If you are tired of chicken and ranch, give     this one a go. It is just one of the cooling summer recipes I will be featuring this month in the Diner News. Order for just $6 a year, 12 monthly issues.

http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html

I am out of school right now. No paycheck coming in, so if you ever thought about ordering any book or Diner News, this would be a great time to go for it. The good news, is that John finally got a job. Not in his field, and definitely a paycut, but we are grateful for any employment after more than a year and a half. He can keep his part time ministry work, but he will be a busy guy. I am proud of his good attitude and humility. I know God is going to bless him. It has been a tough season for the Marshalls the last few years, but we are keeping our eyes focused on the blessings. Hope you do too.

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

2 comments:

Retta said...

That's wonderful news about John's new job. I'm glad for you. :-)

T2Nashville said...

Hey Lisa! I don't eat salmon - but I just had to comment to say how proud I am that John found a job. I took a paycut at the last job interview I had 17 years ago - and I'm still here and doing great! God does bless us when we are faithful to Him. Wonderful news and an amazing answer to prayer.