companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Salchicha Stuffed Bell Peppers




Yum. That is really all I need to say about this recipe. My Salchicha skillet is not new. If fact, it is a combo I came up with three years ago. The name comes from the Spanish word for sausage. I have to admit we have a fun time saying it--but even more fun eating it. We have enjoyed the sausage and cream cheese mixture so many times since then. A Diner patron, Jill, told me she used it to fill bell peppers. She was truly inspired. It is a great filler for some of those gorgeous bell peppers that abound during these hot months. I spiced things up a bit this time. Rather than green chiles, I added jalapeno. Just my boy and no hubby for dinner allows me to amp up the heat. Pearson loved this one...I knew he would. If you don't like it  hot, follow the original recipe. Both are phenomenal.

Speaking of hot, it topped 100 here today. What a day for my air conditioner to stop working. So this day has been filled with bowls of ice water and washcloths. Waiting for the repair guys. Good to know we didn't need to replace anything. A quick fix, but a hot house takes a while to cool down when it is hovering around the century mark outside. I makes me lazy about dinner. I am glad I made this Monday while the air was still working. Tonight, I am thinking salad. Or leftovers. I always maintain a well stocked freezer--that's the Diner way. Just grab a Multiply Meal and have a feast. I happen to have a stromboli made with the FatHead dough that is incredible. That and a salad means I will barely even be in my hot kitchen. Sounds like a plan. So good to always have a plan. If you don't, be sure to order the Diner E-book and learn all my prep ahead timesavers.

Now on to the recipe. This one will be in the August issue of the Diner News. The upcoming issue will be filled with recipes using your garden fresh veggies. You know, the ones that overflow this time of year. If you garden, you need ideas of how to eat the fruits of your labor. If you don't garden, chances are some friend will have some zucchini, okra or peppers to share. If you are lucky, you will have some beautiful bell peppers for this recipe.

Salchicha Stuffed Peppers
I love my sausage and cream cheese recipe, Salchicha. This is a variation off that. A few changes, and a delicious mix stuffed into a bell pepper. 

4 bell peppers
12 oz pork breakfast sausage
1/2 jalapeno pepper
3 oz chopped onion
6 oz Neufchatel  cream cheese
1 pkg. shirataki rice (optional)
1/4 cup shredded cheddar

Cut the tops from the bell peppers. Hollow them out, leaving cups to fill. Remove the stems from the tops and dice the remaining pepper. Dice onion and jalapeno pepper. In a skillet, brown sausage with the chopped pepper, onion and jalapeno. Drain fat. Stir in Neufchatel cheese until blended.

Drain and rinse rice if using. (may also substitute cooked cauliflower rice) Stir into the skillet. Fill the cups with the sausage mixture, packing with a spoon. Arrange the peppers in a baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Serves 4:  472 calories  8 net g carb

Add this one to your summer rotation. You will be happy. If you don't want to use the shirataki rice, you can always use pre-cooked cauliflower rice. Or you can add a few more calories, and just fill three smaller bell peppers. You decide what works for you.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


No comments: