companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Shirataki again?


I've tried. Really, I have. I tried to like the Shirataki noodles--the ones made with tofu, anyway. I just couldn't get past the texture. I tried making them all the suggested ways, stir fry being the only tolerable way for me. Edible, but not something I bother with much. I may, just may, have changed my tune with this find.

I happened to be near an Asian market on Saturday. I had always wanted to try the Miracle Noodles--the type made just with that magical yam root. Never could get my courage up to pay shipping, and never managed to find them at the health food store. Well, this market did not have the famed Miracle Noodle either, but they did have these. JFC brand of a shirataki noodle infused with seaweed. These brown shirataki noodles have to be the most disgusting thing to look at that I have ever knowingly prepared. (maybe my use of chia gel has strengthened my resolve to eat the unlovely) BUT...

Brave up. They did not smell bad. I know to beware of odor associated with some shirataki noodles. I MADE myself smell the freshly opened package. Nada. Granted, I have a bit of a stuffy nose, but still, from the stories you hear... I went ahead and rinsed them, patted them dry and dry fried them a bit in a hot skillet. I have heard that works. Bingo. Even though they look rather like swamp worms, they tasted...like nothing. Woohoo. Nothing is good at this point. The best thing is, they did not overtly scrunch between my teeth. That is what I could never quite get over before. Now I am still not saying they have the tooth feel of wheat pasta, but soo much better than the tofu style, at least for me. Your mileage may vary.

Not trusting myself, since I had missed lunch yesterday, and had a lumberjack appetite going last night which may have skewed my opinion, I tried them again this evening. This time, I didn't even dry fry, I just dumped them into some cabbage I was steam frying. I liked them. John didn't hate them. Wow.

Now for something that has 5 calories a serving, that is a pretty good review. These brown noodles do have about 1 1/2 more carbs per serving. I guess that is from the seaweed. It is a small price to pay for a little extra nutrition. Hey, you could eat the whole bag for only 10 calories and 4 carbs. More iron and calcium, so go for it. Plus two servings, we got three, was only $1.29.

I still think I will stick to using these with stir fries. The texture would just never work with macaroni and cheese or alfredo sauce for me. But with a veggie and maybe a bite of chicken or beef, these are totally and completely doable. How's that for an endorsement? By the way, I did weigh in half a pound less this morning despite eating late in the day. We will see what happens tomorrow in my ongoing quest to be a skinny girl.

If any of you have great recipes to share using shirataki, I would love to feature some here. I am drooling all over the keyboard today putting together the next newsletter. It will be filled with indulgent recipes for special Valentine meals with your honey (or ways to treat yourself if you are single). That is one day, I don't like to cut calories. Bring on the steak, butter and chocolate. But for now, shirataki noodles. Yeah. Gotta love them too.

5 comments:

Melt Fat BFC said...

Try making tuna noodles casserole, but sub. the regular noodles for shiritaki. Very tasty and very low carb. :)

Plus there is this website that list a lot of recipes people have tried. Some probably aren't low carb, but there are always way to sub. different ingredients.

http://shirataki-noodles.recipesilove.com/

Kahri said...

Congrats on the weight loss! you are doing great!! (not sure about the shirataki noodles, tho)

Anonymous said...

I've been using Shirataki noodles for years. Actually first had them when I lived in Japan as a child. The Miracle Noodles that everyone talks about are just regular shirataki noodles that were given a fancy name & fancy marketing & TV exposure so everyone thinks it's something new.

I've been getting SNs at the Konjac site (http://www.konjacfoods.com) since about 1998. It's an old site and has no fancy bells & whistles. You have to buy a case which is 24/9oz pkgs. (about $45 including shipping, except for Angel hair which is cheaper.) (I think you can buy 2 bags of the Angel Hair to try.) They keep forever and you can get a mixed case for variety. They also sell the Glucomannan Powder which is what the SNs are made from and is also a good thickener for sauces etc. I haven't tried all the varieties since I tend to stick to basics. I'm not affiliated with them I just think they've been doing it for years & I trust them.

I also have a local supermarket that has SNs at a lower price but they are the ones with tofu & not my favorite but I do buy a few when I shop there just to keep on hand for emergencies.

I like making chicken noodle soup with them as well as stir fries and casseroles of all kinds. One trick I've done is to rinse & drain them, dry a bit on paper towels, then I put them in a bowl with a couple pats of butter & nuke 'em for 2 minutes before adding them to my soup, casseroles, stir fries etc. I think it changes the texture somewhat.
PS: there is no tofu in the konjac SNs. This is a bit long, sorry.

Allison Trottier said...

I would LOVE to see a newsletter feature with all of your yummy recipe ideas

Derek said...

Forget the tofu noodles, you have to try the Yam Flour noodles. I can't remember their name, but they are MUCH better than the tofu ones. No carbs/fat, etc. Nothing like real noodles of course, but a lot better than these. :)