companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Happy Harvest Waffle Sticks

So it is going to be 100 degrees here today. 104 yesterday, but my bank said 109. Ugh. So tired of oppressive heat. I couldn't help myself. I had to start testing new pumpkin recipes just to will autumn to arrive in my little corner of the world. Don't know that it helped, but I donned my pumpkin colored t-shirt and headed to the kitchen anyway! Wednesdays are the day at our school when we send the kids out to work in the community. I don't have to be there and they are off doing internships, apprenticeships, part time jobs or volunteer work. Good plan! That means I get to head into the kitchen.

This recipe can be made two ways. My first idea was waffle sticks. Then I accidentally plugged in the cupcake ball maker instead. I tried those too. Both work fine. I made a sweet batter because I was looking for something less like a waffle and more like a portable breakfast or lunch snack. Who wants to mess with syrup? These do taste like fall!

We just got a new health food store in town. I was happy to see that they are carrying golden flax seed. Those have a milder flavor than the dark seeds. I ground mine up fresh for this recipe. Worked great and makes them less expensive over pure almond flour too.

Happy Harvest Waffle Sticks

3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup golden flax meal
1/3 cup granulated Swerve (or equivalent sweetener)
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
3 eggs
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
2 tbsp coconut oil

In a medium bowl, mix almond flour, flax meal, sweetener (if using dry, if not add it with the wet ingredients),
1/2 tsp baking powder, and spices. To that bowl, add eggs, pumpkin and coconut oil. Stir until blended. The mixture will be thick.

Spread the batter onto a hot waffle iron or into a cake ball machine. Because the batter is dense, you will need to spread it to the edges or mound the batter in the cake ball machine. Close the lid and cook until the steaming stops. For an extra crunchy waffle, add an additional 2 minutes past normal baking time.

Serves 4:  288 calories  4 net g carb


These taste like fall! Like I said before, you can add a little waffle syrup if you want, but you don't need it.  I am packing these for snacks at work for us. No sticky syrup and no hot oven required of muffins or cookies. Now I am going to hang out in front of the air conditioner and imagine it really is a cool fall breeze.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php


Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.


13 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love pumpkin everything!

Georgi J said...

Sorry, if I'm a bit uninformed when it comes to baking, but does the pumpkin puree come from a can, or out of an actual pumpkin? Thanks! :)

shekinah said...

Georgi J, pumpkin puree comes from a can. Make sure its pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling which has added seasoning, fillers and sugar.

NeeCee said...

Printing this off and definitely will be making it onto my menu.

Lisa Marshall said...

You can use canned pumpkin or home made. I will have some of that when fall really arrives. You do have to bake fresh and squeeze a little moisture out.

Anonymous said...

hi! I just had to tell you that i just love your blog! great inspiration even for me here in Norway. keep on the good work!

-Hanne-

Anonymous said...

almost look like a kind of feast! I LOVE all the beautiful colors, too, YUMMY.

Delicious beet vegetable soup.

Kim said...

How would you suggest someone cook these without either a waffle iron or cake ball maker? Mini muffin pan maybe? Could they be cooked in reg square pan and then cut to size, do you think?

julie b said...

What can you use besides coconut oil? Found I'm allergic to coconuts anything and my need to use a substitute.

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

Blogger said...

You can make $20 for a 20 minute survey!

Guess what? This is exactly what major companies are paying for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So big companies pay $1,000,000's of dollars per month to the average person. In return, the average person, myself included, fills out surveys and gives them their opinion.

Blogger said...

Order a professional Sparkling White Smiles Custom Teeth Whitening System online and enjoy BIG SAVINGS!
* 10 shades whiter in days!
* Results Guaranteed.
* Better than your dentist, for a fraction of the cost.
* Same as dentists use.

Blogger said...

Come and see how THOUSAND of individuals like YOU are earning their LIVING by staying home and are fulfilling their dreams TODAY.
CLICK HERE TO START NOW