companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Zucchini Pizza Poppers

You know it is early July around here when you hear firecrackers popping outside and the gardens are overflowing with zucchini. Don't save these treats for holidays though. They would be great any time of year. They are especially good now because you don't have to heat the big oven. You did buy a cake pop machine like I told you to so long ago, right? Guess you could bake them in a mini muffin tin, but they are much more fun this way. These little balls of goodness are wonderful hot, but very tasty at room temperature too. Think of them as a flavor packed cousin of the hushpuppy. A  lot like my Broccoli Bites.

I have to give a shout out to the gardeners in my life. This year I am way too busy to even try my pathetic little attempt at container gardening. About all I have going this year is a big clump of lemon balm. That is wonderful in ice water. Have you tried herbal waters? I love them. I digress. I do that lately in my too much to do brain fog. Anyway, thanks Melanie and Jim and the boys who somehow, just as busy as we are, managed to grow these enormous zucchini plants. They shared some with me. Even after making these poppers, I have 2/3's of this zucchini left to use!

I named these poppers for the Independence Day here in the States. They are not super crispy, although if they were deep fried, I bet they would be. Tomorrow my family will be feasting on delicious chicken and pork sausages made fresh at the Sprouts store. I love their flavors. I wish they had exact carb counts available. Mine doesn't--I asked. I did see the ingredients list. A little sweetener in some of the blends, but it is really low on the ingredient list, so I think we are good. We have the southwest flavor, chicken basil, sweet Italian sausage and French apple. Add to that some of Nana's Coleslaw and a fruit salad. The addition of these poppers will be fun. Maybe we will save them for the park when we go out to see the big display.




Zucchini Pizza Poppers

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
3 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugarfree marinara sauce
1/4 cup diced bell pepper
1 oz diced pepperoni

In a medium bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in shredded zucchini, eggs and marinara sauce. Finely dice the bell pepper and pepperoni. Stir these into the batter. Spoon batter into the wells of the pop machine, rounding the tops. Close and bake 6-7 minutes. Makes 20-22 pops. If using a muffin tin, bake approximately 25 minutes at 350.  (I haven't tried the oven, so watch for browning)

Nutrition: 1/4 batch or 5 pops: 172 calories, 11 g fat, 3.7 net g carbs, 12 g protein

Speaking of the July 4th Holiday, our books in the Low Carbing Among Friends series are on sale right now. If you don't have them all, this is a great time to complete your selection.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com


29 comments:

Ginny said...

Oh Lisa! Genius! I mean, how much better can it get than zucchini, pizza, and poppers all in one? :) I just happen to have some zucchini too.

Unknown said...

Lisa, do you have a calorie / carb count for these poppers? Thanks so much. Linda from Mansfield, Tx.

Anonymous said...

These sound wonderful, Lisa! Used my last zucchini a couple days ago. Must get some and try these!

Crazy Cat Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew @ My Little Lasik said...

Whoa, thanks for deciding our lunch for tomorrow! We ran out of fantasy :)

Donna said...

What is a pop machine ? Could you just roll into balls and bake ?

Lisa Marshall said...

Donna,

The batter is too wet to roll into balls to bake. You could put them into a mini muffin pan though.

Lisa Marshall said...

Linda, I added the nutrition stats to the recipe for you.

Anonymous said...

Is the parmesan the dried in the can kind, or the shredded kind?

Lisa Marshall said...

Mine was dried. I like that for batters.

Zombiemom said...

Loved these!!! Thank you Lisa!!!

Stacey Bennett said...

Lisa, I loved this recipe and your Cheese puppies. Would LOVE more savory recipes for the pop maker. Crabpops, maybe???

Unknown said...

AHHHH! I can't believe I haven't thought of this! I usually make these with ham and cheese or with leftover meatloaf and cheese! I can't wait to try this for the Mister or on game day! buy amyl nz

Galveston Gal said...

I agree with Stacey...more recipes for the Pop Makers...
Made the fish pops yesterday...Yum!
The smell of these z-pops is heavenly now as I wait for the last few minutes to finish!!!
Thank you so very much for all your efforts/recipes!
You are a blessing !

picalily said...

I need to go buy a cake pop machine...

Jami H said...

I noticed that you have a label for crockpot, but not for cake popper machine. I bought one specifically to use with your recipes. Could you make a link/label for cake popper machine recipes on your site, so we can easily find them? Thank you so much, I really love your site!

Unknown said...

What are the actual carbs? Not the net carbs but total carbs?

Vicki H said...

Hmmmm...gonna have to try these in my mini donut maker. Sound delish!

Unknown said...

I just got a cake pop appliance! I'm so excited. Can't wait to make these. I love zucchini, and so do my kids.

Tammy said...

can i use regular flour

Unknown said...

Ok ... maybe I did something wrong but mine did not turn out as wonderful as everyone else :(
I didn't use a "Pop" machine... I wonder if that makes a difference. I used a mini muffin tin. any suggestions?

Wendy said...

Can I use homemade coconut flour or almond flour?

Anonymous said...

I make zucchini tots and you need to squeeze the zucchini in a towel several times to remove the excess water. If you do that properly they will be very crispy.

Jenny said...

Can you use a different cheese other than Parmesan? I like it but my husband can't stand the smell so won't eat it.

Anonymous said...

I think Aldi's has them on sale this week for about $12.00

Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried freezing these? I am having a surprise birthday party for my husband and I wanted to make a lot of different appetizers. Thanks!

Mina McKay said...

I bet that you could put these in a marinara sauce and serve it over zucchini spaghetti. I think I'm totally going to do that. These will be the meat balls! :D

Unknown said...

Would love to try these but what can I use instead of coconut flour or almond flour. My daughter is highly allergic.

Lenka said...

I did not have a pop maker, so I used waffle maker...worked perfectly, very very delicious...