companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Candy Corn Cookies or Autumn Leaf Cookies



Yes, my friends call me a goober. I love cuteness. I love things that fit a theme. These are cute and perfect for fall. We can't eat candy corn, but we can eat these cookies. They are really just a variation of my Chocolate Mint Ribbon Cookies. These are cut into triangles and the flavors are jazzed up a bit. They taste really good in my opinion. The orange layer is flavored with a True Orange packet. That is just the right amount of orange flavor. The brown stripe is, of course, chocolate. Maybe these will keep us away from all the Halloween candy out there. One batch, One cookie sheet. No problems.

I have included this recipe in the November Diner News. Every year, the November issue is dedicated to holiday meals which are perfect for family gatherings. Some of my all time favorite side dishes have come from these Thanksgiving issues. The new edition will be out on Saturday.

Until then, make some cookies! They are not as hard to assemble as they look. I even shaped a few from scraps with my fingers. Then I got inspired and squished the last few together on purpose. A leaf shaped cookie cutter made another adorable cookie. So either way, you have a fun fall treat.




Candy Corn Cookies

1 cup blanched almond flour
1/3 cup erythritol
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
10 drops stevia, OR 1 tbsp equivalent
21/2 tsp melted, unsweetened chocolate
1 packet True Orange
 food coloring

In medium bowl, combine almond flour, erythritol, coconut flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder. In small bowl, combine melted butter, egg, vanilla and stevia. Add the wet ingredients to the larger bowl, stirring by hand to combine.

Divide the dough into equal thirds. In small bowl, add melted chocolate to 1/3 of the cookie dough. Blend thoroughly. Add the True Orange , 3 drops yellow and 1 drop red food coloring to make orange to another 1/3 of the dough.  For the vanilla dough, simply add 2 drops of yellow food coloring.

When all the dough portions are blended, place the vanilla dough onto a sheet of waxed paper. Press it into a rectangular shape about 6 x 4”. Do the same with the flavored doughs.  Place the vanilla dough between the chocolate and orange doughs. Wrap in waxed paper and chill well. Use your fingers to smooth the edges and blend the layers together.
To bake, slice 1/4-inch slices from the log. Cut that wedge into triangle shapes and place on a silicone liner or parchment-lined cookie sheet. (Save the straight edge pieces to form into marble cookies) Bake 10 minutes at 350°F.  Watch closely and remove cookies before the edges brown. Cool 2 minutes on the sheet before transferring to a flat surface to cool completely.

48 small cookies.    35 calories    <1 net carb each


The packet of True Orange gives a great little citrus punch to the orange part of the cookie. It tastes very natural. I love to use the True packets in  my water and in cooking. They are really handy. If you don't have those, you could sub just a touch of orange extract.

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles, 
A Table for Two here.

3 comments:

Wonni said...

Hello Lisa,
I have a question to the part: “Place the vanilla dough between the chocolate and orange dougts. Wrap in a waxed paper and chill well. Use your finders to smooth the edges and bend the layers together.”
How do you place the doughs? One upon the other and then wrap it? I can´t imagine how this works.
Please help me to understand.
regards

Lisa Marshall said...

You spread each dough into a flat rectangle, then press them together. Imagine spreading each flavor in the base of a small loaf pan, one on top of the other and then removing the layers and making a slice across. Then cut the slice into triangles. Sorry I didn't get a photo.

Wonni said...

Thank you very much. Now I understand.
These cookies look very tasty, so I will try them soon.
I have seen, that you have many different dishes posted in your blog. Where do you get your inspiration from? Often I do not know what should I cook or bake for my family.