companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sriracha Slaw

I am eating lighter these days. so while my hubby was grilling out this afternoon, I made up a new slaw. He got his traditional favorite, my ever popular Nana's Coleslaw with  a Kick.  While low carb, that one is a little higher in calories than I am trying to go for me lately. Post menopausal metabolism. Grrr. Cutting calories seems to be what I need to do.

But with this slaw, I did not feel deprived at all. It has its own kick, but no mayo. I love sriracha; hubby is not a fan. That makes this recipe just for me. So, I give you a recipe for one. Of course, you can double, quadruple, whatever floats your boat. But if you want a nice little side dish in less time than it takes to heat the grill, this one is perfect.

I love slaw recipes for the summer. I purchase the big bag of pre-cut coleslaw mix at Sam's Club. They do all the chopping for me, so none of the cabbage mess all over the counter and floor. Yes, it always seems to fly off my cutting board. I know, I could use the food processor, but I hate washing it. Call me lazy, I don't care. I have other things to do. Redecorating the room that used to be our schoolroom--that is more fun than washing 6 pieces of a food processor.

Sriracha Slaw (single serve)

1 cup coleslaw mix or diced cabbage

1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce
4 drops liquid stevia
1/4 tsp chia seeds
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder

Measure coleslaw mix into a serving bowl. Press it down with fingers to measure, but don't pack too tightly. In a small bowl, combine cider vinegar, Sriracha, stevia, chia seeds, salt and garlic powder. Pour over the cabbage and toss. Eat immediately or chill to allow flavors to blend.

Serves 1: 22 calories  1 net g carb (3 carbs, 2 fiber)


Did you get that carb and calorie count? Hard to beat for a nice side dish filled with stuff that is so good for you. I use apple cider vinegar with the mother for extra nutritional boost. Chia seeds are part of our healthy diet too. I know prepared Sriracha has a little sugar, and I do have a recipe to make your own (May '14 Diner News). The sugar is so minimal though, I find that it is worth buying for my family. You decide.

My website for the 24/7 Low Carb Diner is down currently. It should be back up tomorrow. Why do problems always seem to happen on holidays? So if you want to buy the e-book or order up the Diner News, just try again tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, things will be all worked out by then. If not, I will have bigger problems as my hubby will be in jail for killing someone with the ISP. Just kidding, not murder just assault maybe.  Til then, have a fun summer eating this cool slaw. I hear eating spicy foods actually cools the body. Maybe, but I like it just for the flavor.


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here.  






2 comments:

Lita said...

Love that carb count! But I think I'd go heavier in the hot sauce. Just saying....:-).

Linda

Blogger said...

With bistroMD you know that not only will you eat gourmet meals, but that every entree and every day in bistroMD's weight loss program is balanced to bistroMD's designed nutritional platform that helps promote an healthy diet.

STEP 1 - Select one of the weight loss plans for 5 or 7 days of entrees.
STEP 2 - View your menu before ordering and decide on the entrees you desire for each day and week.
STEP 3 - Order your weight loss plan online.
STEP 4 - Your meals are sent to your home.

ORDER NOW - home delivery.