companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, June 24, 2016

Longganisa Sausages


This is something really unique. Somehow, it still seems somewhat meant to be. Just the name. Almost sounds like me. My maiden name, you see, is Long. Add that to my first name, and these Filipino sausages sound almost like a tribute. Maybe I should call them Longgalisa instead. In addition to that, my boss is half Filipino and I had a chance to meet her sweet mama not too long ago. So many cultures to learn about. Yes, I am a teacher, and I am still a big nerd when it comes to learning. It is a lifelong thing for me.

Now that I run with a crowd from the Philippines, I will have to ask if they eat these sausages. My hubby was a convert. From my research I found that there are several regional varieties. I chose to make the one that is very garlicky. We love our garlic. I am no authority, but from what I can tell, most of the varieties are sweet. That makes them a natural breakfast sausage. We had them for dinner, but in a breakfasty sort of way--with eggs and fried caulirice. Almost true island style.


I am busy making all sorts of recipes featuring ground meats for the July Diner News. This is one you will find in there. I have lots of fun ideas still to try. I am experimenting with some burger hacks too. So far, our trial with a smashburger turned out well. You will have to wait for the Diner News to get all that information.

Today I was not too bright. I decided to try my mom's really old meat grinder. Ground pork is a little harder to find at my grocery store. I usually have to go to Sprouts to get a good deal on it. I wasn't going that direction, so I picked up a small pork shoulder roast. Oh my, that was so not worth the effort and the mess! Don't do what I did. Buy pre-ground pork or use a food processor. Lesson learned. The grinder is all retro and cute, but it was such a mess. I will stick with the modern conveniences. I was hoping to get a coarse grind, but it was pretty much the same as my Ninja or food processor method. Back to electric for this girl. Good to know since I still have about 5 pounds of chicken to grind.

Without further ado, here is the recipe for these Filipino sausages, Marshall style.

Longganisa Sausages


1/2 lb ground pork
2 tbsp erythritol / stevia blend
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
2 ts0 Palm oil or coconut oil for frying

Combine pork, sweetener, garlic powder, pepper, vinegar and salt. Chill for several hours for flavor to permeate the meat. Shape into 8 small logs. Heat oil in a skillet and fry until cooked through.

per sausage:   88  calories and 1 g carb

Most of the photos I saw online had the sausages in a casing. No way was I doing that! These are good. Never would I personally have put so much garlic in with sweetener. The combo does work though. I used many different recipes as resources to come up with my own. Although I am not a native, I think they are quite good. Especially if you let someone else do the grinding.




Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here
 

1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!