companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, June 10, 2016

Orange Power Juice


Sometimes I miss a small glass of OJ in the morning. Usually I have my coffee, but in my youth, I preferred orange juice. Over a year ago, I hacked this little concoction for the May `15 Diner News. The theme that month was low carb kitchen hacks.

 My Power Juice is better for you than orange juice, which, as a concentrated form of fruit, is high in sugar. I added some protein, turmeric and vitamin C powder. All very good for you. Then to thicken it a bit, I tried some beef gelatin. Funny thing happened. After I tried it with some ice, the gelatin separated a bit and formed little clumps very much like pulp in OJ! I loved that.  If you are the type that hates the texture, leave the gelatin out, or drink it at room temperature. Even better, use Collagen Hydrolysate, which dissolves but  doesn't do the gelling thing. This does separate a little upon sitting, so if you chill it, give it a quick blend with a stick blender before serving.  Ah, the fun of food chemistry!

Speaking of school subjects, I am going out of town all next week to a teacher's conference. Leaving the hubby all alone. We shall see. I am signed up on the gluten free menu at the conference, but I see lots of potatoes on the menu. Most meals are cafeteria style, so I should be fine. When the meals are free, I make do. I find that it is usually easier not to be too hard on myself. I am fortunate not to have many food allergies. I empathize with those of you who have to be so suspicious of any food served in public. I had to do that while my youngest was on SCD/GAPS and it is so desperately frustrating.  My tips: 
  • Use a good quality unflavored protein isolate.
  • I prefer Great Lakes Brand for the gelatin
  • I order vitamin C powder online. Don't try to crush tablets. It is good to add to all sorts of drinks, so don't be afraid to try it. I have the NOW brand.
  • True Orange is a little harder to find at the grocery than lemon or lime flavors. It is easy to add onto an order through most of the  online nutrition stores.



Orange Power Juice

2 1/2 pints of water (5 cups)
2 tbsp erythritol / stevia blend equal to sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp whey protein powder
1 tbsp beef gelatin or collagen hydrolysate
2 tsp Vitamin C powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp orange extract
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 packets True Orange

Blend all ingredients together with an immersion blender..
Serves 6:   22 calories   1 g carb   4 g protein



Once I return from the conference, I will be jumping right into summer school. That is busy, but a blessing since my husband is still without full time employment. Please keep him in your prayers! While I am away, I will try to check in nightly to send out newsletter orders and answer your questions. Don't give up on me. I seem to thrive on a busy schedule, but a girl can only promise so much!



Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.