companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Sun Dried Tomato Crusted Fish

Most of the people in my family are not big fish eaters. My hubby will tolerate a meal of fish, as long as it is mild, and I serve another favorite recipe at another meal of the day. This one, however, is not your average fish recipe. It is utterly delicious, even for a less than enthusiastic fish eater.

The Diner News for June will feature Mediterranean food. This is definitely in that category. So many provocative flavors, yet so good for your health. In addition to the intense tomato flavor, we get the tartness of lemon and capers, the salty and earthy olives, and the crunch of almonds. Such a winning combination!

Sun Dried Tomato Crusted Fish

1 cup whole olives: a blend of black, green and Kalamata, any ratio you prefer
 ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and  chopped
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp slivered almonds
1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp capers, drained
4  frozen fish filets (4 to 5 oz each)
 Salt and pepper, to taste

 Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the olives, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, almonds, lemon juice, garlic, and Italian seasoning in the bowl of a food processor. Process until ground but not completely smooth.  Place the fish filets in a baking dish sprayed or brushed with olive oil and season them with a small amount of salt and pepper. Spoon the olive and sun dried tomato spread on top of each piece of fish, spreading it out over the surface. Divide the capers among fillets.  Bake until fish is cooked through, about 30 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the filet. (Reduce baking time by half if using fresh or thawed fish.)
Serves 4: 330 calories  5 net g carb (7 total carb)



All those classic Mediterranean flavors. Yum. If you need to sub some ingredients, go ahead. But stick with the sun dried tomatoes! Capers would be optional.

You can use any fish, I think. I used a white fish for mildness. But you can get more Omega 3 fatty acids if you choose salmon or tuna. I am personally not a huge fan of some of the other healthier fish--mackerel, herring, trout and sardines...so you be the judge.

Speaking of judging. Everytime I post a fish recipe I seem to get a battle going between farm raised and wild caught. Please just eat what your conscience tells you, and be happy. Frankly, there are so many opposing views on so many health issues, it is no wonder the average Joe just eats burgers and fries day in and day out. Not that I don't love a good burger.


School is out, but I am still doing grading and clean up. Next week I travel to a teacher conference for Oklahoma History. I do love my history classes the most. I will be dining in my old college dorm cafeteria. I am sure they will not have the good eating I get today with this fish! It will be fun anyway.

Don't forget to order the Diner News. Just $6 a year.  http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/newsletter.html



Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


Order our books at: 


Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

3 comments:

Viktor said...

Healthy, quick and awesome, thank you so much!

Michael said...

"olives, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil" - just the perfect Mediterranean flavors. Thank Lisa! :)

1 click dissertation review said...

I, too, come across many people who don’t eat fish fondly. But simple recipes like this could attract many of those. I am a fish lover so I would definitely try this.