companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Among Friends Thursday --Kent's Red Enchilada Sauce with Chicken

I love Mexican food. I love enchiladas. But since we don't do much gluten, enchiladas are a little more work. Tonight I wanted the flavors of an enchilada, but not the effort it took to make a gluten free tortilla. After all, is it really the tortilla that gives the flavor? Nope. It is Kent's Red Enchilada Sauce.

If you read the label on canned enchilada sauce, you will find starches and stabilizers. Are they really necessary? Nope. This sauce is easy to put together. It is easy to serve.  It has that flavor you remember. Because my hubby is sensitive to spicy heat, I halved the amount of cayenne. I think next time I might have to leave it out all together--or make one batch for us and one jar just for him. Maybe I have a really hot jar of cayenne, but even my son's fiance thought it was spicy. Ahh. Another gringo. I loved the heat. I was amazed how this does taste just like the sauces from restaurants. Other than decreasing the cayenne a bit, I also blended my tomato sauce using my immersion blender. I left it just a little chunkier than the canned sauce. Loved that touch. It is definitely better than the canned stuff. Thanks Kent.


For simplicity, I poured ours over some chicken breasts and baked them in the oven. Then a sprinkle of cheese. Was that too much trouble? Nope again. If you want to try something that sounds even yummier than my simple chicken, try Kent's recipe for Enchilada Chicken Paillard, on page 297. If only I had picked up peppers at the grocery. That dish sounds amazing. I am going to try it out with the leftovers of the sauce I have from tonight. The Red Enchilada Sauce recipe is on page 313 of Low Carbing Among Friends. But the book if you haven't yet. The recipes really are amazing.

3 comments:

Joan said...

You are making me hungry!

Joan said...

Update....I have made this twice since you posted this...yummy!!

Map of Ancient Greece said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)