companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Java Grilled Chicken

I am experimenting with coffee rubs. I saw an espresso spice rub at my spice store, but it had sugar in it. This one is made with coffee because that is what I had. I was afraid it would be too strongly flavored, but it is not. The pepper really comes through, but the coffee is more subtle. Just a hint of bitter, and not bad, actually. I think I will try this rub again on beef, and let it marinate longer before cooking. I was hungry tonight, so I didn't wait.

Java Rub

1 Tablespoon ground coffee, dry
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Today is my youngest son's birthday. We celebrated his 17th with family friends for pizza. Of course, we had salad instead, but it was just as fun---almost!

Because a lunch of salad doesn't hold you all day, a bigger dinner than is the norm was due for tonight. I didn't have the time to do a full prep day with our schedule change, so I came up with this. I keep some chicken in the freezer, ready to be thawed and grilled quickly. So, I seasoned the chicken, and threw some sliced grape tomatoes in the pan with it. Just for fun, I sprinkled some of the Java Rub on them too. I liked it. Of course, if you are not a fan of coffee, this probably isn't the dish for you. I do like playing around with different flavorings, so it was fun for me. John is an avowed coffee hater, so I left him to grill a ground steak for himself. He obliged to be spared the coffee. Go figure!


Emily Sandford said...

This sounds good! I'm going to try this rub on chicken tomorrow.

Jennifer said...

Hey, Lisa - your youngest son has a birthday close to my youngest son's birthday. Jonathan's birthday is May 1st. I don't know why but I was thinking about you today, so decided to pay a visit.

Java Rub - very unusual - first time I heard of such a thing. :-)