companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Granny Cookies-- New Fashioned

My school is back in session, so it is lunch box time again. Actually with summer camps, that time never quite went away for me, but for some of you out there, brown bagging is a new challenge of everyday life. Or, if it is an everyday thing, you may be looking for some new ideas. I got that! I am devoting the September Diner News to lunch box foods. Who doesn't love a good cookie in there? I do, I do! These will make the newsletter because they are yummy.

My mom used to make Granny Cookies. At our house, they were a kitchen sink type drop cookie. Oatmeal, coconut, chocolate chip, nuts...all sorts of goodies were in there. They held up for weeks, but they never lasted that long. Not being fragile, they were perfect for brown bagging. Not pretty party cookies, but yummy. I wanted to reproduce that taste using ingredients that were low carb legal for us. That takes out the oatmeal, brown sugar and chocolate chips. My version is also peanut free, since most schools cannot allow peanuts any more. Mine may be a bit more fragile, but they are every bit as delicious as my mom's "Grannies." Sunflower nut flour replaces the oatmeal and wheat flour. Don't let that ingredient scare you. It is super easy to make in a blender or food processor. Cocoa nibs (or Cocao nibs, depending on your level of sophistication) replace the chocolate chips. You should be able to get both sunflower kernels and cocoa nibs at your health food store.

Now I know that you are out there telling me that I can buy sugarfree chocolate chips, so why go for the nibs instead? Cocoa nibs are pure chocolate from the processed bean. No sugar added. Well sugarfree chocolate chips are not only pricey, but they are reminiscent of a bad experience I had with sugar free fudge on vacation one year. Yah, let's not go there, just suffice with the fact that I avoid maltitol as much as humanly possible. The other type is not worth the price to me. Could make my own coconut oil based chips, but this other idea is so darned easy. Being a dark chocolate lover, I enjoy these straight. No sweetener necessary at all. Really. Just one or two little nibs crushed between my front teeth and I have a chocolate fix. Much more than that and they are bitter. For those of you who are milk chocolate devotees, you would think me crazy to nibble on these in this way. To each his own. I can tell you that when the nibs are surrounded by a coconut laced sweetened cookie, the bursts of intense chocolate flavor is wonderful.

Since it is Prep Day, I happened to be making a big batch of Maria's Panini Bread. I had leftover egg yolks. I bet you could sub 2 medium eggs and get close to the same results. It is probably pretty forgiving there. Haven't tried it though since I just created this recipe today. When I try another batch I will let you know.

Granny Cookies

1 cup raw sunflower kernels
1/2 cup powdered erythritol blend
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3 egg yolks
3 tbsp coconut milk (or almond milk)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
liquid stevia equal to 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
3 tbsp cocoa nibs

In a food processor or bullet blender fitted with a grinding blade, process the sunflower seed kernels into a flour. Place the flour in a medium bowl and stir in the erythritol, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. In a smaller bowl, combine oil, coconut milk, vanilla and stevia. Stir well and pour into the dry mixture. Combine the wet and dry ingredients. If coconut oil solidifies, warm the dough in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in the shredded coconut and the cocoa nibs until well distributed through the dough.  Use a small scoop or two spoons to drop tablespoon size balls of dough onto parchment paper. If you want round cookies, do not flatten the dough. If you prefer disks, press each ball down with your fingers or thumb. Bake 10-11 minutes in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. Makes about 2 dozen small cookies.


I thought of these today because it is my Grandma's birthday. She would have been 99 or 100 today. Funny thing, she always fudged on her birth year, so none of us are really sure how old she was. It has been a sad weekend for us, as we had to say goodbye to one of my sweet dog kids. Mandy, our schnauzer poodle mix was such a fun, spirited dog. Much like my grandma. I hope I have as much spirit as these two did when I am a granny. Until then, I will miss my Mandy girl everyday. Dogs have such a special place in our hearts, and it is so sad to see them suffer. I will miss her raiding the trash for my cooking scraps, the way she had to have her little bum touching me when she cuddled, and the way she showered me with kisses when she was happy...or hungry.  In her last year, she loved to be right under me in the kitchen, hoping to catch anything I dropped. She was always in the way in my tiny kitchen and I have been dodging her trying not to make her move with her painful arthritis. I will so miss my little cooking buddy. She was a good friend. Pound puppy adoptions are the best.

7 comments:

Retta said...

I'm so sorry about you losing your little Mandy. My girl mini-schnauzer loves to be in the kitchen, too, watching intently for any dropped crumbs. So I know what you mean about "cooking buddy." They are so special to us. How wonderful to know you rescued her and gave her a love-filled life.

Maxine F said...

Very nice post and I feel for you. x

unter der laterne said...

Lisa,I am sorry that you lost your little companion !

I want to buy *Low carb among friends*, how many volumes are there and which one do you recommend for a family with little ones?
thank you Barbara.

Andy said...

Many thanks for posting this. I feel for you x

dgidaho said...

I'm so sorry about your little Mandy. Our puppy kids hold such a dear and special place in our homes and hearts. The love and joy they bring is unconditional. As you grieve, may your heart be soothed by the knowledge that her life was happy and blessed because of you and your family.

Lisa Marshall said...

Thanks for the hugs, everyone. Every day is getting a little easier.

Barbara, there are 3 volumes. As far as little ones? I don't know. They are all good. I would start with
#1 until I got them all.

Blogger said...

3 Researches REVEAL Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!