companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hummus Cruciferous


I ate a lot of chickpeas/ garbanzos in my vegetarian days. I like them, but have to admit it was more often the flavors added to them that I liked rather than the legume itself. Alone, I always thought they tasted kind of musty. Who needs that? I did like the lemon and pepper flavors I used to bake them up into little crunchy snacks. No, I don't have a substitute for those I have always like hummus, but not the bland, pre-made variety. I like lots and lots of lemon. And tahini. Love tahini! And garlic. I mean what kind of husband does not like all that? So if it was not the humble pea/bean that I liked, why not try an alternative substance? Why not consider every low carber's favorite go-to substitute?

The story:

Here I am in the middle of my prep day, three crockpots going,  my second tray of roasted veggies in the oven, salad still to be made, and I stop to play with dip? Blame it on the cauliflower. Friday night I steamed a whole head. We ate half. The other half was just sitting in the fridge begging not to end up in leftover hell (my trash). Granted, I was so tired Friday night, I hadn't even properly wrapped the leftovers. Unless the serving bowl with a plate resting on top counts. Did I say I was tired?

So while trying not to munch all the roasted cabbage while I was in the kitchen, I grabbed the cauliflower. I had been thinking about this for a while, having seen this post  from The Cavewoman Cafe--with a very a while back. It had lurked on my Pinterest list of things to try someday. Today turned out to be the day. Besides, I was looking for a really flavorful way to make my school lunches tastier. This will last me all week.I changed up a few things, but the whole idea is inspired.

I have been Intermittent Fasting recently, so that means skipping breakfast. That saves me a little time on prep day. No breakfast casserole to prepare. (Hubby is on his own since I leave earlier) So rather than prepare my lesson plans, I do this while I still have light to photograph it if the recipe works. Woohoo. I love it. Unfortunately, my dear hubby does not appreciate cumin and lemon as much as I do. He can have his peanut butter, I will take this! Some times I just do not get that man. What is not to love here?

So this is my amazing cauliflower based hummus like dip. I gave it a funny Latin sounding name that is just too much fun to say. You do "get it" right? Still more fun to eat it though. At least for some of us. The hubby will have to settle for the awesome name...and a happy wife.


Hummus Cruciferous

2 cups steamed cauliflower
1 tbsp tahini (I used my home made version, Low Carbing Among Friends II page 263. )
1-2 tbsp lemon juice (I like 2, but I really like lemon)
2 tsp garlic puree
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp cumin 
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Chill. To serve, garnish with a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Serve with vegetable dippers.

Serves 12 at 16 calories  1.4 carbs per serving

This is lighter, less pasty than traditional hummus. The flavor is really close, though. It is great with celery sticks, but red bell pepper would take it up another notch. My lunches are going to be so delicious this week.

Love the recipes I share on this blog? My ebook helps you plan and prep to stay healthy 24/7.   http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

Order our books at: 

http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

9 comments:

Vicki Allwardt said...

Thank you!!

Vicki Allwardt said...

Looks like another winner for cauliflower. I do miss hummus!

Sue said...

I absolutely love hummus so definitely gonna have to give this alternate recipe a try :)

Natalie said...

hummus with crackers and a bottle of wine. Now that is a perfect night in with friends for me. x

Ben said...

Did someone mention wine???

Luana said...

I've made hummus out of zucchini, and it's good, but hunch is that cauliflower is grainy?

I love garbanzo beans. Canned ones have no taste; they may as well be cardboard. I'm much rather use dried beans, lots of flavor!

Lisa Marshall said...

Tabatha,

My seal is broken on my pressure cooker--gotta order a new one.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe, It looks good. I'll take a look at your book. I'm also finding some recipe for pressure cooker now.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, I love to experiment with hummus :)
I try to lose some weight, and I hope this will help me :)


Thanks!
Top Slow Cooker Reviews