companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Friday, July 25, 2014

Chillin' with Some Cold Cucumber Soup

Despite my Oklahoma roots, I am SO not a farmer. No green thumbs here. I am more than happy to take fresh produce off the hands of my more agriculturally blessed friends and family. Yesterday, I received two garden fresh cucumbers and some beautiful home grown tomatoes. Now, I am not one that generally gets excited about cucumbers. I like them in some salads, but I wanted something to truly glorify them. I sought to celebrate the garden fresh bounty and appreciate all the labor that went into their production. Last week I was also given a variety of fresh herbs from a friend heading out to the islands for vacation. I could use those too.She also sent along some blue cheese. Lucky woman gets to spend 8 weeks in Hawaii. Doesn't need her blue cheese. hmm.

Got me thinking, I do like cucumbers in my salad like they serve at Logan's Steakhouse when I choose blue cheese dressing. I wondered what a chilled cucumber soup with blue cheese would taste like? Not wanting to ruin a whole batch, I first made a really nice yogurt, fresh herb and lime cucumber soup. Really refreshing! Perfect for these hot summer days.

Then I tried adding in some of that blue cheese. It really did taste like my salads at Logan's. The richness of the cheese added body and so much flavor. I am thinking feta cheese would be amazing also. Before that, I have to eat this whole batch of soup. My hubby simply won't go near a cucumber. Only as a sweet pickle will one pass his lips. My darling mom, also not a cucumber fan, tasted both versions. She liked the blue cheese version best.

Cold Cucumber Soup
(with a blue cheese variation)
no cheese variation


2 cucumbers, diced
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup ice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley
2 tbsp fresh mint
2 tbsp fresh basil
1/2 tsp dried dill or 3 tbsp fresh
juice from 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
optional: 2 oz blue cheese
fresh herbs for garnish

Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor or good blender. Process until smooth. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Chill if not serving immediately. Garnish with additional herbs and/or blue cheese.

Serves 4       184 calories   10 net carbs*
with blue cheese:   234 calories  10 net carbs*

*many nutritionists do not count the full amount of carbohydrate in yogurt, as the live cultures feed on the lactose, thus reducing the effective carb count.

Be sure to read that note about the carb count of yogurt and do what you think is best. I wish I had fresh dill on hand for this trial. Sadly no, but if you have some, then by all means, use it! You can substitute any fresh herbs. I used mint and basil because that is what I had. The parsley really does shine through though, so I would suggest you try it with that the first time at least.



Now looking at these photos. The blue bowl is the one without the cheese. The color of the soup is altered a bit by the blue of the bowl. The white bowl shows the truer color. It looks more green and less yellow.

This soup is perfect for the hot summer days we have ahead. Tomorrow, it will be over 100 in my hometown, with an awful humidity. Can't wait! The farmer's markets will be open though, filled with lots of home grown treats. In fact, this month's Diner News will feature Farmer's Market recipes. This one will be in there, along with a great new tomato and roasted eggplant soup, and lots of recipes that feature summer fruits, veggies and herbs. Be watching August 1st.

Until then, don't forget to order the new e-book! Sales go to help keep my alternative school open. School starts again in just three weeks. Yikes, I have so much still to do!
http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com/html/lowcarbtable.html

Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends

 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

No comments: