companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, August 29, 2011

PBJ Muffins for Breakfast


I wanted a nice breakfast for my honey on our anniversary, so I managed to make these mini muffins in my Babycakes cupcake maker. Even in our less than functional house, these were yummy. I kinda winged it on the recipe, but they turned out nicely. So here ya go. A taste to make you feel like a kid again. I could use that on number 25!

PBJ Muffins


3/4 cup peanut flour
1/3 cup whey protein powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Zsweet or equivalent sweetener
1 egg
1/3 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Sugarfree fruit jam or preserves


Stir together all dry ingredients. Combine egg, almond milk and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients. Add a bit more almond milk if the batter is too thick. ( aim for brownie consistency, not cake batter) Place liners into muffin tins or Babycakes machine. Bake until browned and a toothpick comes out clean. The Babycakes machine finished these in 5 minutes. Let cool and add a 1/4 teaspoon of jam on top of each muffin. Makes14-16 mini muffins.


My ZSweet jar was running low, so I actually used half ZSweet and half brown sugar style Ideal Sweetener. The batter tasted much sweeter than the finished muffin, but they were still plenty sweet for us. We used apricot and blackberry sugarfree jam made by Smuckers on ours. Even the carby boy liked these.

Side note: For any of you with a Babycakes Cupcake maker, I did use the standard mini muffin cups with these. While they are a little small for the well, they bake up just fine. A few get a tiny bit lop sided, but the lack of clean up is worth it. I got my liners at Michael's yesterday with my 40 % off coupon. Way cheaper than ordering the correct specialty size from the company!

Hubby and I will be dining out tonight for our true anniversary. Steak, I think. It will probably be an early night with him back to work after a week's vacation. In addition to that, it stormed here last night, and my poor sweet Golden Retriever, Gracie, was scared to death. Well, not to death, but close when she decided to stand on John's head in the bed. Given the damage done to our house a few weeks ago, she had the right to be scared and wake us up. Hoping the hurricane on the east coast doesn't hold up our repairs any longer...as the company hinted at today when we called to see if anything is ever going to get underway. I am terribly sorry for all you east coasters too, but the unbearable heat is getting to us. I am cranky when I am hot, and I actually miss cooking dinner.


3 comments:

Joan said...

Happy Anniversay Lisa!

Carolyn said...

These look like great muffins, Lisa. Makes me hungry for one right now. Hope your damage is fixed soon!

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you actually get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!