companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

More Cold Weather Food- "Stew-a-baga"

It is still below freezing here and a pot of soup sounded good. The name is odd, but the dish is pure comfort.

I hate trying to eat a good old fashioned beef stew without potatoes. This dish uses the much ignored and perhaps maligned RUTABAGA as a substitute. Is it ever good--maybe even better than the spud. These little chunks of root veggie hold their shape better after simmering on the stove all afternoon. My hubby thought he was going to have to eat around potatoes, and was so happy to find out this stew was legal for him. He still seems surprised that I do my best to make everything as normal as can be expected while keeping those blood sugars in range. In my book, cooking for someone is showing love.

Stew-a-baga

1 1/2 ground chuck
1 diced small onion
4 ribs celery
1 diced rutabaga
8 ounce tomato sauce
2 Tablespoons Sherry
14.5 ounces beef broth
1/2 teas. thyme
1/2 teas. salt

Brown burger with celery and onion. Drain fat.Combine all remaining ingredients in a pot and simmer until rutabaga is tender.

7 carbs for 6 servings, 10 carbs for 4 servings

Stay warm with low carb comfort food...and cook something for someone you love.

1 comment:

Peculiar Blogs said...

Awwww, I think so too!! But I have to say I am a bit afraid of the rutabaga. Aren't they a tad bitter? Or am I thinking of something else? I think i will pick one up and try putting it around my roast with potatoes, that way we can try both. OH! And Sherria picked up the cilantro and other cubes at "your" Walmart for me!! WOOHOO!!