companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Coffees


Christmas Coffee. Jingle Java. Whatever you want to call it, I am calling it Christmas presents. I must admit, I have a slight case of Keurig envy. I love the idea of those single brew cups. Fresh hot coffee everytime. A different flavor every cup. Yeah. That fits my personality. Unfortunately, not my budget. I found a solution, and I am sharing my inspiration with others this Christmas.

I really do like my French Press to make coffee. I own the three cup version, which is really one large mug here in the U.S. Just my size. But I also love all those specialty flavors. When out Christmas shopping, I was taken with all the choices those with the specialty machines have. I wanted that variety too. But wow, then came price shock. I knew I would not spend the Keurig prices. In order to get a wide variety of flavored coffees in the regular sizes, I would be handing over $5 to $9 per bag. That was not happening! I searched all the stores until I finally settled on a gift box of flavored coffees at Walmart. For $10, I got 12 flavors, each enough for one pot. I opened those and measured out enough for one of my pots in the French Press. I got 5 cups per package.

Off I went to Hobby Lobby, coupon in hand, to buy some of those tiny ziploc bags for jewelry. Those are the perfect size for a single serving of java. I used my printer and some label paper to make individual packets. Many of these I will be able to re-use a few times. (a new label will be able to go over the old) They will keep the coffee tightly sealed so I can open and sample lots of flavors without having to drink a whole pot each time. Now, I can choose between Irish Cream, Chocolate Almond, Creme Brulee, Hazelnut, French Vanilla, Black Silk and more...yum.

To decorate my tabletop, I printed some cut coffee themed stickers--borrowed those from the web--and added them to some cans. One can is an old coffee can that I touched up with silver and antique white spray paint. I added a wire handle and some scrap ribbon I had. The other can is a food tin that I also spray painted off white. I used a light coat so that the original red paint showed through a bit. It looks antiqued and really cute.

I am giving my mom a French Press for Christmas. The tin can will go perfectly with her kitchen, and she will be treated to some fun coffee flavors. Because she lives alone, the size is perfect for her. These individual coffees in the tin can will make a nice gift to go along with the coffee press.

These gift boxes of coffee will be harder to find after Christmas, so you had better stock up now. These little home made coffee packets would make fun stocking stuffers too. On Christmas, everyone can choose the flavor they want most! If you don't have a press, the one pot packages tend to cost around $1.50 per pot. Or you could buy a pound and use bigger ziploc bags to package enough for a full pot. I think I may make some four cup bags for my college boy with his 4 cup drip brewer.

I love coffee as a dessert. A sweetened flavored coffee can get me through the munchies like nothing else.

1 comment:

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Hi Lisa,

Hmm, I like coffee at the malls - cappuccino! Nowadays I mostly drink tea, but I like coffee too, but have to avoid having too much or else it brings on migraines for me.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year - you and your family.

Blessings,
Jennifer