companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Walnut Thumbprints


These cookies are not new, nor are they for cookie divas. Thumbprint cookies have been around for years and years. This low carb version is simple and flavorful. Best yet, it doesn't require specialty ingredients, and it is super quick. I used my Ninja machine to do everything from making the walnut butter to mixing the cookie dough. One bowl clean up! Granted there is a trade off. Being quick, being yummy, being healthy, they somehow lack in the "thing of beauty" category. So do what I did, put them on a pretty plate and they will magically seem more attractive!

Walnut Thumbprints
1 1/2 cup walnuts
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 egg
1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
sweetener equivalent to 1/2 cup of sugar
spreadable fruit jam, or sugar free jam, any flavor

In a food processor, combine walnuts and coconut oil. Process until it becomes walnut butter. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides once or twice. When that mixture is the consistency of a chunky nut butter, add the egg, coconut, soda and sweetener. Blend it until incorporated. Chill for 30 minutes.

Roll dough into balls or use a small scoop. Lay out 24 balls onto a cookie sheet. Use your thumb to make an indentation in the center of each ball as you press down. Fill this cavity with a small amount of jam. Bake for about 15 minutes at 325. Let cool on cookie sheet.


I didn't chill my dough on this batch, and some oil/egg leaked out from the dough. That didn't seem to affect the cookies at all. Chilling longer may help. Using a scoop, these stay looking a little more like nests. Rolling by hand will make a flatter cookie. I baked them on my knock -off Silpat mat, so you may need to prepare a sheet with parchment or a baking liner.

The flavor combo of walnuts and coconut, topped with strawberry jam is delightful. In a season for showy cookies, this cookie may not be a star but it sure tastes good. I assume it is like what they say about cruise ship food--that it looks incredible, but tastes--well, that is another story. Give me the simple Diner food anyday!

3 comments:

cmnana44 said...

You do have a talent for finding unique and pretty serving dishes. I love the tree plate. Hope you are doing okay. Enjoyed the pics on Factbook

Lisa Marshall said...

Goodwill is the place to find 'em! I got five of these for 50 cents each.

cmnana44 said...

I should go there more often. Seems like I just wander around and find nothing, but a lot of the people at our church almost completely clothe themselves there. I just lack patience to spend half a day in there looking through everything.