companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cinnamon Danish in a Minute


Well almost a minute. This is a variation on the infamous Minute Muffin, so famous among low carbers. Armed with my Capella drops, I entered the Minute Muffin arena and came out a winner. These are really tasty, especially if you are already familiar with the flavor of flax. It couldn't be easier to make a fresh quick breakfast muffin.

These can be made in a coffee mug, as usual. But this morning, I was making them for two, so I used a bowl and my silicon muffin cups. I recently found some new shapes at Marshalls. Too cute. The one in the photo is rectangular, but I got star and heart shapes too. Yes, I am an addict when it comes to those cups. I use them all the time for bento lunches, muffins and sides for sauces and dips. I even made the glaze for this morning's muffins in a square cup then used the corner for drizzling.

Speaking of the glaze. Don't skip this step. It really makes the muffin special.

Cinnamon Danish in a Minute

2 Tablespoons flax meal
2 Tablespoons almond meal
1 egg
1 Tablespoon oil
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
7 drops of Capella's Cinnamon Danish flavoring
2 packets sweetener of choice

Glaze
1 Tablespoon powdered sweetener
1 teaspoon cream
4 drops Capella's Cinnamon Danish flavoring
Dash of cinnamon

Mix all the muffin ingredients in a mug or bowl. Stir well. Pour into muffin cups or keep in the ceramic mug. Bake in the microwave for one minute 20 seconds. Your oven may vary. The mixture will rise and fall a bit. You may remove the muffin from the mug or cups, or leave it in. To make glaze, mix powdered sweetener with cream and flavor drops until smooth. Drizzle glazeover slightly cooled muffin. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon.


The level of sweetener in this muffin is up to you. Some prefer less sweetness, others more. So, play with it to find your sweet spot! I used a combination of stevia and saccharin for the muffin. For the glaze, I used powdered xylitol. I really like to use combos of sweeteners, as they seem to work together well and downplay the drawbacks of a single sweetener. It also helps me spread out the costs of the pricer options. By all means, however, use what suits your tastes. We all seem so different there.

I am working on a fantastic new dessert. I made a trial run yesterday, and while some things are phenomenal about this recipe, I think it still needs a little tweaking. I hope to have it ready soon, but since we have to eat all the experiments, we can't overdo. In addition, I am trying a new dish in the crockpot too. We will see how that one goes. Not every new thing I make ends up blog worthy for sure!

2 comments:

Retta said...

Oh, this is cool! I have 42 (!) of the Capella flavors, but didn't know what to do with the Cinnamon Danish. Now I do, LOL!

I love em... over the past year and a half, every couple of months or so I'd get more flavors. Thanks for this recipe!

Brandi {1 of 2} said...

This sounds so good! I love muffin in a minute so I'll definitely have to try this when I get some Capella drops.