companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, May 16, 2011

Almost Bolognese


My guys are big fans of pasta. Bummer that we low carbers can't eat it. Especially bad with the Dreamfield's news. We never ate that often anyway, because it always did raise John's blood sugars. But the taste is all in the sauce anyway, so tonight we had ours with sauteed zucchini. Almost just as good.

This is my signature sauce I invented in college. No, we don't need to add sugar to everything we eat as the food industry seems to think, but here I do make an exception. I like the sweetness combined with the garlic and acidic tomato flavor. A touch of wine adds sophistication as well. It has always been a man pleaser, too. Except, the one friend who poured Pace Picante Sauce over his. I never have figured that one out!

The recipe is in the e-book. If you are short on time, it can be done in minutes. If not, it is even better slow simmered for a few hours. The choice is yours. We had an end of school party this afternoon, so the quick version is what we enjoyed. I used ground sirloin as my beef, and it was wonderful. We added a side salad and voila! Dinner was served. It almost took me back to my tour of Europe where I remember stopping in Bologna, the originator of the meaty red sauce we all love. Foodies, don't let them know that tonight I added stevia to their age old tradition. We will just keep that a secret, since I am no Italian mama.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What's the news about Dreamfield?

Lisa Marshall said...

A small study, granted nowhere near scientific proof, show very little difference between Dreamfield's and regular pasta. I was referring to Dana Carpender's take on the news here, http://holdthetoast.com/content/i-hate-break-news. There is also a discussion about it over on the Low Carb Friends board. This is one of those occasions where your mileage may vary I think. Unfortunately for my type 2, it is not a great alternative. We have it just once in a while for special meals.

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Yes, depressing news! Apparently the CEO of the Dreamfields company is going to be interviewed by Jimmy soon and this study will be discussed.

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

P.S. Meant to say this dinner looks yummy!