companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sesame Slaw


I had planned to make us Cheeseburger Salad for lunch today, even though we had just eater hamburger last night with our Sloppy Joe Casserole. And yes, all those tornadoes did miss us, thank you.

But plans change. Inspiration just strikes sometimes. You see, I have this giant bag of coleslaw mix from Sam's club. You do have to get creative when you commit to the institutional size of most anything, but especially perishables. We have already had our fav, Nana's Coleslaw with a Kick, and the cabbage mix found a home in last night's Sloppy Joe Casserole (aka Sloppy Tom in the e-book when I use turkey instead of beef). Those were planned, this was not. I just browsed through my email this morning and saw one from Kraft. I don't use too many of their pre-packaged, over priced items, but I do get some good coupons from time to time.

Well, anyway, they featured a recipe for Sesame Slaw. I opened it, saddened to see that they use bottled Asian dressing. That is no fun. So in usual fashion, my brain started recreating the recipe, making it low carb. How fun that I just got a BIG bag of sesame seeds for the pourri. I can now makes tons of sesame recipes. Good, but I don't really know of many. So here was my chance.

I like it. John likes it. He says it is still not his favorite, but hey. It will get us through this bag of coleslaw. It is unusual. Lightly flavored--not overbearing. I made some sesame chicken from frozen chicken cubes to go with. Not bad, but I will continue working on that one. Until then, I am happy with the slaw.

Sesame Slaw

7 cups of loosely packed slaw mix or shredded cabbage
1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
1/4 cup finely diced onion, or green onion
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon garlic wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 packets of sweetener
2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce and sweetener. Mix the vegetables in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over and stir to coat. Toast sesame seeds if nedded, and sprinkle over the slaw, stirring lightly. Chill and serve.


This would be a side dish for 4-6, or a main meal salad for 2 with the addition of chicken. 7 cups of slaw seems like so much until it packs down.

It would be great if lunch was a done deal today. Unfortunately, I have never convinced any of my kids to like coleslaw of any form. Try as I might, they stay away. I have trained all three boys to cook well enough for the bachelor life. Maybe I should just let them fend for themselves today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How many carbs?