companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Eats


Memorial Day was a big day when I was growing up. We lived just a block from the largest cemetery in town and I can recall the chimes ringing all day long. My family has lived in the same area for four generations. We still care for the graves, and made two trips to the graves of our loved ones this weekend. It is comforting. My only relative to die in war was an uncle who was a fighter pilot in WWII. I do so honor and respect our nation's military families, however, and thank them all for their service and sacrifice.

After that, we shared a family meal at my mom's house. She grilled about 6 different flavors of brats and veggies. I made three salads for sides--all low carb. Nana's Coleslaw with a Kick, Grandma's "Potato" Salad and a new idea. I tried some of Grandma's cauliflower salad made with Kraft Chipotle mayo. It was awesome if you like a bit of creamy heat. I sprinkled the top of it with cayenne. Amazingly, it was not too hot at all, but had an excellent flavor. If you try some, just remember not to use all the mayo as the chipotle style, just sub about 2-3 tablespoons of it. Yum.



For dessert, the carbivores had Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream. I thought about making some home made ice cream for us, but then I got lazy. I remembered these strawberries from Eggface. She used ricotta, but I chose to make the filling of cream cheese with real vanilla and stevia rather than vanilla syrup. Everyone loved them.

2 comments:

Retta said...

Those little strawberry desserts are adorable. Our strawberry plants are just getting ripe, so it will be fun to dress some up that way. :-)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

So glad the strawberries were enjoyed :) Mmmm what a yummy spread. ~Eggface