companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, June 6, 2011

Banana Split Muffins


I felt like experimenting today with some coconut flour based muffins and my tiny little toaster oven. We are in a heatwave and I don't want to use my oven for anything. Well maybe for storage...

So this is a small batch. I hardly ever do that. Why waste the time and dirty dishes baking only six muffins. We could easily finish those off in 90 seconds. Like I said this was an experiment. I am a little of a mad scientist in the kitchen sometimes.

I had this bottle of Capella flavorings that was just not my favorite. It came in a combo set, so I didn't exactly choose it. I am not a big fake banana fan. You would never find me eating the banana popsicles. No. These muffins? Yes. A big Yes. I found a good use for my Banana Split flavor drops.

Not being a big fan of the banana, I decided to go with the buddy system. Although I have never in my life eaten a banana split, I decided it might make a good muffin. You see, in my family of little women, little though I am not, a lady would never think of consuming all that food at once. I mean three dips of ice cream? Three toppings? The idea would be scandalous! But I did borrow the flavors by adding some chocolate, like the chocolate sauce in the original sundae. I also opted for strawberry "topping" and a little filling too. To my utter enjoyment, the flavor combo works!

Sure, we don't get the joy of the cold creamy ice cream contrasting with the hot fudge sauce and the piles of whipped cream. But we also don't have to try to cut a banana half with a spoon, and the melting ice cream will not drip down our chins. There, I feel much more virtuous now.

I will post the recipe here, using banana flavoring rather than the Capella drops because I am thinking they just may be a little too much of a specialty item to do you much good. I am, however, guestimating on the amount to use, so YMMV.



Banana Split Muffins

3 eggs
2 Tablespoons oil (your choice or melted butter)
2 Tablespoons cream
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon banana flavoring
1/2 cup equivalent sweetener of choice (I used brown sugar Ideal)
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
6 teaspoons sugar free strawberry jam

In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, oil, flavorings and sweetener. Stir well. To that bowl add the coconut flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well combined. Let the mixture set 2 minutes to thicken. Reserve 1/4 cup of batter. To the reserved batter, stir in the cocoa powder. Mixture will be thick.

Spray muffin pan, silicon muffin cups or use paper liners. Fill each of 6 cups with a tablespoon of plain batter. Set remainder aside. Using a half teaspoon, drop a dollup of strawberry jam in each muffin cup. Take the reserved plain batter and put a spoonful over each drop of jam. Set remaining batter aside. Drop chocolate batter onto the plain batter using a 1/4 teaspoon as a dropper. ( about three drops per muffin)Use the last of the plain batter to top off the muffins, leaving a chocolate and vanilla pattern on top.

Bake at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then top with a 1/2 teaspoon dollup of jam. Makes 6 muffins.


I hope these turn out for you. I have been having some trouble in the kitchen as of late. Nothing seems to work right. I have three fails just since yesterday afternoon. Lucky for you, THIS one, I liked.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

These look incredibly good, I can't wait to try them.

Retta said...

I got this flavor too, but didn't know what to do with it. Gotta try your experiment! I never would have thought of that. :-)

Thanks for another great idea!