companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dueling Peppers Chicken

My oldest son tells me they  put green chile peppers on most everything in New Mexico. They ought to like this dish then. My son's girlfriend is from Albuquerque, and while she loves green chiles, she does not do jalapeno peppers. For me, I would have had an all out battle with all sorts of peppers in this sauce, but since it is just the two, it must be a duel. Add more heat if you want, but that might hide the green chile flavor.

The sauce is flavorful, but not spicy hot. The cream cheese and green chile powder blend so well. Good stuff--and quick. One of the musts for hot summer weather! This goes together really fast if you have chicken cubes thawed. With all the painting and room changing we have been doing, I didn't do any prep work last weekend. I need to restock the freezer there. I bought a lot of chicken at the grocery this week, so I will get to that soon. It sure helps in the summer. But for tonight's dish, the chicken was poached from fresh. Add some cooked rice if you are serving carbies.

Dueling Peppers Chicken


1 1/2- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 sliced green bell pepper
8 ounces cream cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons green chile powder (or use a can of diced chiles)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum


Poach the breasts and pepper slices in the broth in a covered skillet. ( If using chicken cubes, simmer the chicken in the broth to heat and cook the bell pepper) Remove chicken from pan and cut into thick slices. While cutting the chicken, place cream cheese into the skillet to melt. Add chile powder and stir the sauce to incorporate. To thicken sauce, put xanthan gum in a salt shaker and sprinkle over the sauce, stirring as you sprinkle.


This sauce would be great with diced green chile peppers as well. I special ordered the powder from New Mexico, but it is a little hard to find. I recommend buying the really large cans of green chile peppers, and then freezing them in ice cube trays. That makes it really easy to use and is so much cheaper than buying those little cans!

I am busy getting the newsletter ready to mail out tomorrow. With all this heat, it features many new salad recipes. I have been researching all month, trying to find some new ideas to make cold salads a feature on our summer menu. If you would like my recipes, be sure to order the newsletter from the website.  I even have a great new kitchen gadget that is going to make it easy to have fresh, crisp salads everyday for over a week. It really works and is really easy too.







2 comments:

Joan said...

Somehow I missed this recipe till now...so glad to have another recipe for the green chili powder! Can't wait to fix this!

hydrate said...

Really reduced carbohydrate diet programs tend to become large in saturated fat. This may perhaps raise threat of heart disease.