companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, June 13, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream

This is just the fix for a very hot, very frustrated hubby. I made this for my darling after he spent the afternoon working on the van. ( I think I mentioned our vehicle challenges yesterday) He liked it--full of rich chocolate and coconut flavors. Kinda like a Mounds bar...but cold. That is extra nice considering that he was toiling in 97 degree heat. This time, I added some delicious coconut oil chocolate chips. They remind me of the tiny little chocolate pieces in the chocolate chip ice cream I always ordered as a child. In fact, they are so small, you can't even see them in the photo. But take a bite, and you will know they are there. They add the perfect contrast in texture. They almost crisp on the tongue, and give an intense burst of chocolate coconut flavor. That coconut taste will come through if you choose an unrefined coconut oil. The refined type will not carry that coconut flavor, but would work well if chocolate is the star. You can make tiny chunks like I did, or let the chocolate chill in a bowl to create thicker, larger chunks. This time, I just wanted small, flake like chips like I remember.

Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream


1 can coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 cup erythritol / stevia blend sweetener 
4 egg yolks
Chips: 
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder 
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1 packet stevia or other sweetener


Whisk or blend the xanthan gum into the coconut milk. Stir in the cocoa powder and sweetener. Adjust the sweetener to your preferences, remembering that it will taste less sweet once frozen. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks. Stir them into the ice cream mixture until well incorporated. Transfer this mixture into an ice cream freezer and process until it reaches a soft serve consistency. 


While the ice cream is processing, make the chips to add in. Melt the coconut oil in a small bowl. Combine the cocoa powder, coconut oil and sweetener. Pour onto parchment or a silicon mat. Freeze. When fully frozen, break into small chunks and keep cold. 


When ice cream reaches the soft serve stage, add in the chocolate chunks and stir in. You may enjoy it at this stage, or transfer it to another container and freeze until it is firm enough to be scooped. This took about an hour in my freezer.

Serves 6:  180 calories   3 net g carb
Serves 4:  269 calories  4 net g carb

What a great treat in this heat. I am so glad I picked up a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker at Goodwill. No cranking anymore for me. I waiting until today to post so I can report on how this recipe performs once the ice cream is frozen overnight. I still love it. After removing it from the freezer, I popped it into the microwave for thirty seconds, and that did the trick. Perfect consistency again. Maybe the egg yolks help. I might try it again without for those who are leary of uncooked egg. Perhaps I will make another batch without the chips to make frozen fudgesicles.  That will make summer better!


Get more great recipes at the Low Carbing Among Friends Facebook Page:               https://www.facebook.com/LowCarbingAmongFriends


 Order any of our great cookbooks at  http://amongfriends.us/24-7-LCD.php

Order my original e-book or the latest version for couples and singles,  A Table for Two here 

9 comments:

Retta said...

Ooh, sounds delish. I hope your hubby found it refreshing.

How many ounces was the canned coconut milk?? I have coconut milk powder that I can use, but no canned coconut milk.

Thanks,
Loretta

Retta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Marshall said...

I used a 14 ounce can

Ginny said...

Looks great Lisa! Ice cream can become my main course when it gets hot. LOL! I'm always looking for great ice cream recipes.

Barb said...

Lisa...what combination of sweeteners and amounts of each did you use?

Lisa Marshall said...

Whatever you like that equals the sweetness of a third cup. I used some stevia, some Truvia, and some sucralose. I can't remember exactly what combo.

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here eating some of this right now! It was so quick and easy to make and it is delicious. Very curious to see how it freezes overnight. I had to use guar gum because I didn't have any xantham on hand. I also used chopped Lindt dark chocolate instead of making my own chips and added some cherry extract and some chopped walnuts. Thank you for the recipe! Terri in TX

Anonymous said...

can this be made without the egg? what fuel is it?

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!