companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Among Friends Thursday - Carolyn's Peanut Butter Brownie Bites

Last week, I had to take some "treats" to a church function. It is amazing how terrible the food tends to be at church. Donuts. Really? Potlucks--nothing but carbs! Well, my church at least does not offer anyone donuts, replacing them with granola bars, and I have to admit that the hospitality crew does at least offer bananas regularly. (especially at the first of the year when the staff does a Daniel fast) so they are a little ahead of the norm.

But this event, the idea was for hosts to lure people over to your table with goodies. We saw a lot of candy. A lot. I also knew there would be other small bites--cupcakes, cookies, brownies and the likes. Deciding that chicken wings would be a little messy, I decided not to buck the trend. After all, this was almost like a speed dating event, where John and I would be meeting and talking to dozens of people who might be interested in attending the Lifegroup we lead each week. How could I bring something that was both good for us and pretty too? In my mind, I decided to try out a Carolyn recipe. Her treats always look amazing. I can't claim I did right by her. My version of her brownie bites are not as gorgeous, but I had little time, and I had to make so many of them! I am lucky to have had the time to snap a photo. What mine may lack in glamor, they make up for in taste.

I decided that everyone likes brownies. Peanut butter is a favorite too. So I baked these up in my cupcake maker. It made quick work of them. Loved the fact that the frosting was minimal, since I had to find a way to transport these all to church. Certainly, I could not hold them all in my lap! We arrived safely. The tables looked almost like a bake sale or cupcake competition. Glad to say, my gluten free, sugarfree brownie bites held their own. People seem to appreciate a home baked treat over the fancier store bought goodies. I made a little sign to explain that these were sugarfree and gluten free. A couple of guests actually thanked me for providing that option. I got thumbs up responses from everyone who tried them.

Even amid the vast selection of brownies and cupcakes, most of mine got eaten. It is a little intimidating seeing people sample them right in front of you. What if they just spit it out? Woohoo. No one did!

These brownies are dense, being made from peanut flour. I still have a stash my soon to be daughter-in-law brought me from her hometown Trader Joe's. Wish I had one of those here... They are very chocolatey, and not overly sweet. The peanut butter cream cheese frosting is amazing. Easy to prepare and the flavor is the best. Perfect with the brownie. I adore the slightly salty combining with the sweetness.

Since I made so many, we had a few leftover to eat at home. We could not have done that if I had gotten lazy and run to the store to buy bakery cupcakes to attract the masses! Still, they did not last long enough, as I am wishing there were more...If you would like to try the recipe too, it is on page 197 of the Low Carbing Among Friends Cookbook. You can order it by clicking on the link at the right. Carolyn has such a talent for creating wonderful baked goods.

Today I am lunching on Maria's Cheeseburger Stuffed Buns. I am off to take some photos, so you will have to wait until next Thursday to hear about them--unless you try them for yourself!

3 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Your site looks like just what I need. sandie

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

LOL Thanks for the giggle. Have a nice day. Glad your Carolyn brownies were a hit!

Ancient Egypt Pyramids said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)