companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Among Friends Thursday - Vanessa's Cheeseburger Bacon Roll

It is meat lover's night at the Marshall house. Tonight we tried a recipe from Jennifer's section--a recipe belonging to Vanessa Romero of Healthy Living How To.  Cheeseburger Bacon Roll. A cross between a meatloaf and a bacon burger. I had never tried a bacon weave before, but it really wasn't hard at all. And the effect--well, I am betting it attracts more male adoration than the most beautifully dressed cupcake! My hubby is working late tonight, so he hasn't tried it yet. The boy told me three times how much he liked it. Thanks,Vanessa for making me a mom/wife hero.

My men are not the only ones affected by the delicious smells of bacon. My pitty boy Tinker cried and cried for a bite. When he really begs, he forms the word "mama" over and over. Poor guy.  From the time I took the roll to the table to photograph and slice, he begged. Sorry, guy, it is too good to share. Kibbles for you. Yes, that is him in the photo below. He climbed up on our bench at the kitchen table and watched every move I  made.
I did a couple of things differently. Vanessa uses sausage seasoning, but she says to use any spice blend of your choice. I used a meat rub made especially for my favorite team, my Oklahoma Sooners. That was tasty and gave the meat a steak seasoning kind of flavor.  I  also used sliced PepperJack cheese. Vanessa's photos show sliced cheese, but she says that shredded might work better. Next time if I use sliced cheese, I will be sure to let it warm up a little, since it was a bit difficult to roll up while it was cold. Not too hard, though. Once I cut into my roll after baking, it seemed that much of the cheese had leaked out, so I may not have sealed the meat well enough. It was still really delicious, though, and great fun. I think this would be a great show stopper for entertaining.

If you have our cookbook, the recipe is on page 42. Vanessa has an amazing site too, so be sure to visit her. Our book features so many talented cooks, all with their own style, it has something--lots of things, for everyone.



Tonight, I served ours with some steamed cauliflower with cheese sauce, and a recipe I am working on for the March Diner News. Broccoli Bites made in my cakepop machine. The theme for the month is Green. These fit the bill and they are fun to eat. They will definitely make it into the News!

10 comments:

Valentine said...

That looks so good. I will have to try to make it for dinner this weekend!!!

Retta said...

Oh, that expression on Tinkers face!! I don't know if I could resist a pup that cute AND that could say "mama"!!

Lisa Marshall said...

Yes, he is a great dog, and hard to resist. If people only knew what Pit Bulls are really like by nature, when they have not been abused, we could go back to the time when they were accepted as the ideal family dog. And he did get a little.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yammy and delicious. I am new to your blog and have been reading about so many wonderful recipes for my new low carb lifestyle. In several posts I read that you were putting packets together for pastissues of the Diner Newsletter. I would very much be interested in those packets. I have received 2 so far and they are absolutely fabulous - so much work and love went into them. Thank you - thank you - thank you for all you do!!!!

Love the look on your dog's face - oh the temptation

Joan said...

Poor Tinker!! :)

Lisa Marshall said...

Those bundles will be ready soon. I have one year done, and need to get busy on 2010. They keep getting put on the back burner so I can work on the next Diner News and the exciting Low Carbing Among Friends 2. My recipes have to be submitted by the end of March. It is so hard not to share every recipe here on the blog first! Thanks for the kind words. They really do make my day.

Vanessa | Healthy Living How To said...

I love your dog! Nice job on the bacon cheeseburger roll. I haven't made it in quite awhile....thinking a pizza roll of sorts would be fun.

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

I'm with you, Rettakat - I'm such a softie with Smiley - and he is real chubby as a result. He lives for food.

Sweet dog mouthing "mama" no less! I must admit Pit Bulls sound scary but yours doesn't.

Ancient Egypt Pyramids said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)

Stacy said...

I made this tonight, and everyone loved it, which says a lot. The only thing I had to do was rotate the loaf half way through and do some broiling at the end to crisp up the bacon. Yum.