companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

I am getting a lot of baking in for Valentine's Day this year. I have had the idea for this recipe running around in my head for a few weeks. I found the time to try it out today. This makes a true dessert muffin. Outrageously yummy. I was going for two things. First, the flavors of all the ultra pricy chocolate dipped strawberries you see these days. Second, a sweet shortcake like muffin, full of rich vanilla flavor to set off the small touches of chocolate and fresh berries. These are light and airy, yet the three flavors balance so well!

I refuse to buy chocolate chips with stomach wrenching sugar alcohols. I also dig my heels in when it comes to paying way too much to order specialty low carb chips online. So, I made my own for this. Actually, I made enough for several recipes. I wish my chips were more solid. I am thinking it must be best to work with them frozen. They taste like rich dark chocolate. Sorry, you milk chocolate lovers, I am a dark chocolate devotee. If you want to try my recipe, I will post it here. If you have more money and less time than I do, buy some of your choice.

Sugarfree Chocolate Chips 

2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup powdered erythritol blend
2 tbsp cream
Stevia drops to taste


Heat coconut oil and chocolate in the microwave or on the stove top until melted. Stir in the powdered erythritol until well dissolved. Add the cream, stirring well. Add stevia drops two at a time until the chocolate reaches the sweetness level you desire. Place the melted chocolate into a squirt bottle. Squeeze the chocolate out into chip shapes on top of parchment paper or a silicon mat. Chill or freeze before removing from mat. Store chips in the freezer.

I used a squirt bottle especially made for chocolates that I purchased at Michael's. If the chocolate needs to be rewarmed, It can be heated in the microwave. In the mean time, extra chocolate, if thinned and used as a sauce, can be stored in the squirt container.

The muffins themselves have a secret weapon for an extra special flavor boost. I adore the Vanilla Butter Nut flavoring. It can be hard to find, but it is worth it. To me, it adds an extra pound cake like flavor. If you can't find it, just use a tsp of vanilla extract. My son liked these so much, he just kept coming back for more. I think I have like 9 left out of a batch of 24 mini muffins. Between the three of us, we ate 15? Yikes! Well, my youngest is way too skinny. I am always trying to get food into him. Since I have found something healthy enough that he really likes, I will be making more to send along to his college classes in the mornings. He is such a sweetheart of  young man, he deserves a special Valentine treat from his mom--even though he does have a fiance now. They sure grow up too fast!

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins


3 eggs
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Vanilla Butter Nut flavoring
1/2 cup erythritol*
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely diced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugarfree chocolate chips, frozen


In a medium sized bowl, combine eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla and vanilla butter nut flavoring. Stir in the erythritol. In a small bowl, blend the coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Gently fold in diced strawberries and chocolate chips. Spoon into mini muffin cups. Bake until they are just turning golden, and a toothpick tests clean in the center. Makes 24 mini muffins.

* I used Swerve, a sweetener blend. If using straight erythritol, you may wish to add a tablespoon more.

I baked mine in my cupcake maker, so I didn't exactly come up with an oven time. My batches only took 8 minutes. I didn't add too much filling, either chocolate chips or berries because I did not want to make wet or overly rich muffins. With just the right touch of chocolate and strawberry, my guys loved these!

7 comments:

Admin said...

These look yummy! You may be interested in this post http://satisfyingeats.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-chocolate-chunks.html if you are looking for home-made, low carb chocolate recipes. The author also has some other chocolate recipes you may find interesting.

No affiliation, I promise!

Lisa Marshall said...

By the instructions, it looks like this site has to recommend keeping the chocolate chunks very cold as well. Nature of the product, I guess.

Stephanie said...

YUM! These look great!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They sound yummy.
I ordered the cookbook!

Jennifer [To PIN/share a Post, Click the 3 dots or the Red SAVE Button] said...

Hmm, sounds really lovely, Lisa.

Ancient Egypt Pyramids said...

Another Smart post from you Admin :)

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!