companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, June 28, 2010

Florentine Skillet



I've been working on the newsletter today, and wanted a quick dinner. I had ground beef which needed to be used, so I made a good summertime skillet. No oven allowed, though it definitely gives the oven baked flavor.

Florentine Skillet

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
12 ounce package frozen spinach
1/2 onion, diced
6-8 ounces cream cheese
6 ounces Swiss/American cheese slices
2 teaspoons MrCormick Roasted Garlic seasoning blend
salt and pepper to taste

Brown and drain the beef. Add the spinach and onion and cook until tender, about ten minutes. Stir in cream cheese and cheese slices. I set them on top, turn off the burner, and let the cheeses melt in. Stir everything well and add seasoning.


This can be formed to resemble squares from a casserole. It is a little prettier that way. If you prefer it thinner, just add a little half and half. I served ours with a side salad. For the carby boys, I made some white cheese macaroni with more of the roasted garlic seasoning stirred in. Look at Big Lots for those blends--they are tasty. Even though I have an avowed spinach hater, he eats this. Good thing he likes cheese, and I finally got a dark green leafy veggie in him!

I am pretty sure this would freeze well. It might go into rotation. I would love some extra individually wrapped portions for lunches.

2 comments:

Retta said...

I made this yesterday, with a big bunch of fresh spinach leaves we got on sale... DIVINE!
Thanks for another winner,
Loretta
=^..^=

Tiffany said...

This would be something right up my alley! Yummy! I need to make this soon. Thanks Lisa!