companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Sunday, June 7, 2009

22Too Mini Muffins


I just love catchy names for recipes. It is just one more way to have fun in life. Today is prep day for the week. I have chosen to make some Flaxy Minis, hoping these little muffins will fit neatly into my Bento box lunch. The name really does describe them well. They are 2 flavors, 2 bites and they are TOO cute!

I used the regular flax muffin recipe using almond meal. The variety comes with the flavorings. Today, I experimented with some new Capella flavoring drops I just received. The flavor of choice today is Chocolate Butter Crunch. After assembling the muffin batter, I divided it in half. In one half, I added a teaspoon of cocoa powder. Then, I marbled the batters in the muffin cups. I began with 16 drops of flavoring, but the resulting muffins did not have a noticeable flavor. I added more drops to the remaining batter. You may have to play around a little to find your "flavor zone" as the company calls it. I think mine would end up at about 22 drops per batch of muffins. Easy to remember, given the name of this recipe. That seems like a lot, but I consistently find that I need to double the amount of spices I use in flax muffins as compared to other types of batter. I need to hide the grassy taste since I use regular flax rather than golden. If you have golden flax meal, you might want to ease off on the additional flavorings in all my flax recipes.

22Too Mini Muffins

2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
2 Tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup sugar free vanilla syrup
1/2 cup Splenda or equivalent sweetener
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
22 Capella flavoring drops (or flavorings of your choice)
1 teaspoon cocoa powder

Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Add oil, butter, syrup, sweetener, flavorings and water. Stir until well combined. Combine dry ingredients, except cocoa powder, in a bowl. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Let batter rest for 5 minutes. Divide batter in half. Add cocoa powder to one half. Spoon batters into muffin cups. Use the end of a spoon to make a zig-zag pattern in the batter. Bake mini muffins at 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

139 calories, 1 gram carb for two muffins


If you want to get creative, you could always try new flavor combos. Chocolate and peanut butter, strawberry and vanilla, maple and pumpkin pie spice, etc. I love trying new flavor extracts and flavorings. Check out the Capella drops here.

No comments: