companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, June 8, 2009

Gardener's Layered Casserole


This recipe is my step in faith. I will have wonderful zucchini this year, despite the fact that I have only found male blossoms for the past three weeks. I will have bountiful bell peppers, which I love. My herb pots will flourish, giving me plenty to dry for the winter time. Now that I am on a roll, perhaps I should claim some goats to provide cheese...no, that might make me unpopular with the neighbors.

I am taking a few breaks from my regular Diner schedule during the summertime to develop some new dishes for my recipe repertoire. Tonight, I would normally have heated up an already prepared Multiply Meal, but I wanted to play around with some wonderful summertime ingredients. Even if my plants fail to produce, I know someone around here will have a bumper crop of zucchini.

I thought this recipe was wonderful. It might be a tad bit on the veggie spectrum for my meat lovers, but the cheese appeased them. I will, however, be the one to claim the last portion of these leftovers. This would be wonderful for a ladies' brunch or garden party. The use of turkey lunchmeat means you can skip the step of cooking the meat. That is a big plus.

Gardener's Layered Casserole

8 ounces sliced turkey breast
2 cups creamed cottage cheese
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Monterey Jack, but any would do fine)
2 small zucchini, or one large
1 yellow squash
1 green bell pepper
1 tsp. olive oil (I have a basil flavored oil)
fresh herbs, or dried Italian seasoning

Cut vegetables into long strips. Toss them with olive oil. Grill on an outdoor or indoor grill, or roast them in a hot oven for 20 minutes. While veggies are grilling, combine cottage cheese, garlic and eggs. Spray the bottom of a casserole dish with olive oil spray. Lay veggie slices to cover the casserole dish. Place a layer of cottage cheese mixture over the veggies. Top with 1/4 of the shredded cheese. Over that, place slices of turkey. Repeat layers. Mine ended with a partial covering of veggies and the grated cheese. Bake at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Mine were basil, chives and thyme from my herb garden. Let stand a few minutes before cutting. It may form a bit of fluid in the base of the dish.

Serves 6 299 calories 7 net carbs




I served this with a green salad. The carby boys had garlic toast. John and I loved the croutons I made from last week's leftover focaccia bread. It was just like eating those big gourmet croutons from expensive restaurants. I simply dried them in the toaster oven at about 300 degrees. Later tonight, we will have a light dessert of some shaved lemon ice. Just the right ending to a cheesy meal, or a fun summertime treat.

2 comments:

Peculiar Blogs said...

mmmm I have to try this! Even if I just make a small amount for myself. :-)

thania said...

Good as always