companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Monday, January 4, 2010

Almost Mocha Cappuccino


Normally I would make this with lots of cream, but since I have promised to cut back, I have done a little experimenting. Not too bad. Santa left us some chocolate flavored Folger's coffee. It tastes pretty good, and I couldn't find that the flavoring added any carbs.

This morning, it is so cold, that I was looking to replace a protein shake with something warmer. I love the ease of protein shakes for breakfast, but they do make me even colder. While I was still warm under the covers, I decided to see if this combo would work to make a warm protein drink. Not too rich, by any means, but it is flavorful and has the great frothy top like the real thing. Lots fewer calories too. Make sure you have an extra large cup, as this really fluffs up!

Almost Mocha Cappuccino

1 cup flavored coffee, freshly brewed
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
sweetener to taste (I used chocolate flavored Stevia drops)

When the coffee is still piping hot, pour one cup into a bullet style blender. Add sweetener to taste and one scoop of whey protein powder. Blend until frothy and serve immediately.


This concept would work well with plain coffee, especially if you use some coffee flavorings or DaVinci syrups. If you aren't trying to cut down on calories too, add some cream for a richer flavor. This might be good with a spoonful of coconut oil, but I haven't tried that one. Do watch out for the foamy mustache!

No comments: