companion blog to the e-book the 24/7 Low Carb Diner

Companion blog to the e-book
Available at http://www.247lowcarbdiner.com

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Crack Slaw in 5 Minutes


"Crack Slaw" supposedly earned its name because it is so addictive. I have to admit to a second plateful. This skillet dish goes together really quickly if you happen to have some thawed Minute Beef handy. Just toss the beef in the pan, add the other ingredients and stir fry. You will need some sesame oil, however; that flavor just can't be substituted. The more you like it, the more you may want to add. Feel free. This is one of the recipes that can be tweaked to your heart's content.

Today, I am still finding uses for the fresh jalapenos Aldi had on sale last weekend. 49 cents got me quite a few beautiful, crispy peppers. They tasted fantastic in this dish. They aren't as hot as you would think if you don't add in those seeds. Give it a try. Or not.

Crack Slaw in 5 Minutes

1 pound of prepared Minute Beef or 1 1/2 pounds of fresh lean ground beef
1 pound of coleslaw mix
1-2 Tablespoons of sesame oil
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Splenda, or equivalent sweetener
1 thinly sliced jalapeno pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

If starting with fresh beef, lightly brown and drain most of the fat. Add all remaining ingredients and stir fry until cabbage is tender.


This is great for a fast supper or a weekend lunch. It can also go into a tupperware bowl and be reheated in the microwave. Just be careful chopping the jalapeno pepper. Some prefer to wear gloves when seeding and cutting. I am more afraid of latex, so I prefer just to wash my hands well and make sure I don't touch my eyes.

7 comments:

NeeCee said...

I am in the OR NOT camp. ;0)

Amosannette said...

Very curious about this one. Going to make it tonight for the first time. We're big mushroom lovers over here so I'll prolly add a big handful to the pan as well. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

rub a little olive oil on your fingers before seeding and cutting the jalapeƱo ... helps keep the burn away

Looking forward to trying this

Anonymous said...

This is so good. I subbed real garlic for the powdered and added a little bit of real ginger (I have the kind in the tube - so maybe a 1/2" or so squirt). I didn't have jalapeno, so I used about a tablespoon of siracha sauce for some heat. Even my picky kids liked it!

Anonymous said...

Its so good! I thought I would hate it and love it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. Why would you drain off the fat?

Anonymous said...

Well, I had to sub and revise because of what i had on hand, and conclusion WOW yumm
started with a whole chub of breakfast sausage and a whole head of cabbage.. I did add two pieces of thick cut bacon, cut into lardons as well, ito the meat for browning and rendering. I didnt have sesame oil so i added a few sesame seeds and had enough oil from the bacon and sausage...
I forgot to add the garlic powder, had it crushed and ready, (crush from freeze dried) but just forgot, and added very thin slices of a small red onion, and one jalapeno sliced paper thin.. VERY forgiving recipe, i can see how you can go all kinds of ways with the basic premise. IT was Outstanding, and yummy and it will go in the hopper as a regular weekly dinner.. and i dont normally repeat many meals but this one is def worth repeating!